Ch68: Endless Time

The smell of freshly baked pumpkin bread leaked through the cracks of my door and warmed my nose, giving me strength to shove off my blankets and rise to face the morning. I loved it when Dad made breakfast! I also loved that it was Saturday. After the craziness of the past few weeks, I needed the beloved weekend.

As I slid into my robe, a sudden realization hit me: that Felix was in my room last night and was currently sleeping on the couch. My stomach turned to a snow globe that had just been shaken - bits of glitter rattling against the glass and fogging the inside. Nerves!

Had Dad found Felix this morning? Did Dad freak out and almost hit him with a bakers roll? Did they get along, or did he kick Felix out to sleep in the cold? I tried to get ready faster, as I dug the hair brush into my tangled mess, accidentally ripping out some strands.

But wait. This wasn't the previous world where Dad hated Felix with all the passions of the universe. No, on the other hand, Felix (or should I say Adrien) was one of 'the boys.' A.K.A. Dad's chosen friend. They were buddies, so I had nothing to worry about. That didn't slow my hurried pace.

Once I looked somewhat presentable, I rushed down the stairs to find Dad hunched over at the table. His face was buried in his hands, and I could hear him crying. Mom stood at his back, rubbing his shoulders.

"I'm surprised as well, but this is really good," Mom said.

"I know...I just can't believe my..."

"Dad, are you okay?" I asked.

Dad jolted his head up, wiping his eyes and rubbing his nose against his arm. His face was red.

"Never been better, Kitten," Dad said, abruptly rising from the chair and attending to the bread in the oven.

"Why are you crying? And where's Felix?" I asked, scanning the couch. There was no evidence that he had spent the night. Was I going crazy? Had I dreamed up the entire thing?

"Who's Felix?" My parents asked, almost in unison.

"Adrien!" I clarified.

"Oh...he left early. Why didn't you tell us he was staying the night? We would have prepared something for him," Mom said.

"It came as a surprise to me as well," I said, "They are releasing him from the surveillance."

"He told me. Very happy for him," Dad paused, pulling the bread from the oven and resting it on the stove, "He's a very good, respectful boy."

"You think?" I asked, feeling my spirits rise.

Dad smiled, "I'm happy for you, Kitten. And myself to. I can't wait for -,"

"Tom," Mom glared.

"Oh," Dad fell silent, suddenly focusing on cutting the bread, "Can't wait to eat this pumpkin bread," Dad finished, before sending Mom a very obvious wink.

Mom rolled her eyes. Dad was the world's worst secret keeper. His thoughts were his words. It was both a blessing and a curse. More of a curse throughout my childhood when he would accidentally spoil me on movie and show endings and my Christmas and Birthday gifts.

Clearly, I was missing something. Had Felix asked Dad's permission to take me on a date to the Library? Either way, poor Dad was doing his best not to 'spoil' whatever it was.

"So, I'm going to the Library with Adrien today," I said, taking a bite of the yummy bread Dad handed me.

Dad's eyes flashed with excitement.

"We hope you have a great time," Mom said.

Dad rushed up to me and encircled me in a hug, "Just because you're older now doesn't mean you aren't still my little kitten. You always will be. No matter what."