Ch51: The Underworld

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, my hand landing on my chest.

Natalie's lips looked as if they were being pinned up by clips - she wore a fake smile that  attempted to mask the stiffness in her body. Suddenly, I didn't feel like the guilty one. When her eyes came into view, her paranoia was obvious.

"I know you are wearied. Let me guide you to your room," she said, placing a firm hand on my lower back.

"That's okay. I know where it is now," I said, feeling a heightened discomfort.

"I insist," she said, guiding me across the hall. She reached past me and opened a whitewashed door, "This is it."

The room was square - at the centered was a small, perfectly made bed next to a white wooded dresser with a simple lamp. Very basic. Moonlight spilled through the blinds a square window.

"Thanks," I whispered.

"Of course," she said, adjusting her glasses, "About what you saw..."

"The necklace?" I questioned, forcing my frame to appeared relaxed, "I'm just glad you found it and are taking care of it. I was so worried I lost it."

She sighed - almost as if in relief.

"That's right. I found it laying on the ground near the fountain at the gala," she said.

I nervously chuckled, "So that's where it went? Felix was so sick that night, I noticed the next day that it was missing."

She nodded, her eyes scanning my every inch as if she was trying to read my mind - to detect doubt. I swallowed hard and clasped my hands together.

"Well, goodnight then," she said with a nod.

"Where did you say your phone was?" I questioned. I could always sneak and find it - but that would look even more suspicious. If I was open and "honest" maybe I'd avoid unleashing her inner demon.

"Phone? Who do you plan on calling?" She asked, cocking her head as if she was trying to get a better view of my inner thoughts.

"My parents. I miss them. Now that I think of it, I should at least tell them where I am," I swallowed.

She inhaled slowly.

"I see. Are you planning on leaving?" She asked, her voice landing on a high note.

"No," I lied.

"Hmmm," she hummed, "Alright. Follow me."

Natalie clutched my wrist and dragged me down the hallway, past the kitchen, and into a mini library (well, actually it was a small bed room that she had converted into a 'library.')

"Is...is this where the phone is?" I stammered, trying to free my hand.

Her grip only tightened.

"Yes," she hissed.

Natalie pressed some type of button and the bookshelves yawned open like two elevator doors. The doors made a mechanical clank noise when fully opened. What was this? Some sort of secret room?

It donned on me. She wasn't taking me to a phone. She was kidnapping me.

"Please let go," I yelped.

She clasped me by the shoulders and forced me ahead into the dark opening. I stumbled before catching my balance.

"Trust me, Marinette. I'm not going to hurt you. I want to show you something."

Her voice was so reassuring, but I knew she couldn't be trusted. I wasn't sure where she was taking me or why. But as Ladybug, I felt it was my obligation to know.