Ch62: Vanilla

I couldn't do it.

I couldn't bring myself to knock.

I couldn't push open that door.

After finding Natalie - who I thought I'd be reporting to - she informed me that I'd be working under Adrien Agreste. I couldn't even begin to describe how much dread I felt.

Mr. Agreste's son. Really? Of all people in the company, it had to be the boy I'd insulted in the elevator. He told me he was my boss, but in the moment I only assumed he was joking. Oh, how I wish I would have taken him seriously. Why couldn't I have been professional and held my cool? How was it that he was able to so easily get under my skin?

"Plan to stand there forever?" A male voice said from behind me.

When I turned around, I was horrified to find it was Adrien! He was holding a steaming cup of green tea - that must have meant he took a stop before coming to his office. My stomach turned in the worst possible way and I felt as if I may collapse with fear. I wasn't prepared to meet him out here in the hallway. All my imaginations had me meeting him beyond this door.

"Oh...umm...I...." I stammered, I glanced at his steaming tea, "Look hot," I said, desperate to fill the silence. Why did I always do this?

"Thanks," he said with a smirk.

"Not you! The tea! I meant!" I clarified, shaking my hands.

"I know," he said with a wink.

He brushed past me, unlocked the office door, and pushed it open - holding it with his arm.

"After you," he said, raising a brow and gesturing with his hand.

I awkwardly nodded, before bowing my head (really I was hiding my blush) and zoomed into the room. He followed, and shut the door.

The office was actually nice. His desk was classy, dark wood, with a lovely frame sitting on it, holding a picture of what I assumed to be him and his family. Also on his desk were two pots full of beautiful pink and white orchids. Dangling from the ceiling were multiple of green plants that I didn't recognize.

In the corner of his office was a lovely mini wood desk with a perfect window view of Paris. There was a computer, two monitors, and a pot of blue orchids.

"Is that mine?" I chattered, pointing a shaking finger at the mini-desk.

"Do you like it?" He asked quickly.

I nodded, "It's...better than I imagined."

He smirked, striding over to my desk, and rubbing the orchids petals, "Can I trust you?"

What a strange question.

"I think so," I nodded, "I mean, yes. Wait. Trust me with what? Or are you just talking about in general?" I trembled.

"Can I trust you not to kill this plant?" He asked.

"Oh. Yes. Of course!" I nodded eagerly.

"Very good," He said, running his eyes over me as if he was analyzing every detail of my outfit. I hated it when people did that. It made me feel insecure. What was he thinking?

"I'll admit, red has always been you're color," he muttered, before striding over to his desk.

A random compliment? But in the elevator he insulted how wrinkled this linen was. Did he or did he not like it? Which was it? And why did I feel my heart racing under his mysterious gaze?

As I took a seat at my desk, I noticed I smelled something. Was there a dessert baking? Vanilla. An overpowering smell of vanilla. I turned my head to find a large candle sitting on the granite counter of the kitchen section.