Ch6: The Worst

"Try to keep up," Felix said, several strides ahead.

"I'm doing my best," I hollered breathlessly.

"Take off your shoes and run barefoot for all I care. Just don't make me late."

"I'm sorry! I'm going as fast as I can!"

"Well, it's not fast enough."

Felix quickly paced down hallways and up winding stair-wells. I trailed behind, hopelessly trying to keep up. We didn't have time for the elevator, he said. Not since we had taken extra time to retrieve my own personal laptop. He helped me log in and set up my applications and folders.

Then, he showed me to my own cubicle, near Natalie's office. AKA...my desk for when he needed space or wanted to kick me out of his office. We did all this in under twenty minutes...Felix was effective, to say the least. But the clock was ticking and we still needed to make it on time to a meeting all the way across this expansive building.

I was falling significantly behind. The meeting started in five minutes. Felix shot me an annoyed glare, as he maneuvered past a group of businessmen and women.

Okay fine. If he wanted me to take my shoes off and run, I would! After all, making him late would definitely hurt my chances of winning his favor.

Flopping my heels off, I crouched down and grasped them with my left hand. Then I took off jogging down the hallway until was I right behind him.

When he sent me another glare, he seemed surprised that I'd caught up. He suspiciously scanned me, until his focus landed on my feet.

"What the-"

"-I took off my shoes, as you suggested! I'll be able to keep up now."

"Are you stupid, or something?" he said, stopping right outside of a sealed white door.

"I didn't want you to be late. So, I took your advice. You said you wouldn't care."

"I was being sarcastic," he said in a scolding voice.

"Then you're-" I held my tongue. I was about to say "terrible at being sarcastic. Actually, you're just terrible."

"I'm what?" He asked, raising a brow.

"Nothing!"

"Sure," He said plainly, "anyway, this is a professional environment. You must wear shoes at all times. I thought you were smart enough to at least know that."

"I do. Now. Sorry," I said, placing my heels back on and feeling immediate pain in my arches and toes. This was unbelievable. I felt beyond foolish.

"Tomorrow wear shoes that won't keep nearly getting you killed."

"Okay."

He reached into his suit jacket and pulled out his Employee ID badge. Then he pressed it against a black scanner. It must have been one of those door security things that kept unauthorized people out.

The scanner beeped and an unlocking sound echoed from the door. He pushed it open.

"You should scan your badge. It acts as a tracker. Security likes to keep track of the interns' locations."

"Sounds good," I reached for ID badge that was dangling from my skirt, except nothing was there! I patted around my waist. Where was it? Wait! I had attached to my old skirt...that I had recycled at the Employee Shop. I must have forgotten to remove it and attach it when I changed.

I felt sick at the realization.

"I...I think I accidentally threw it away."

He closed his eyes and inhaled as if trying to maintain his composure.