Ch32: Enough?

The large doors ceiled, closing us into what felt like a tomb. Darkness.

Compared to the flashing camera lights that still stained my vision like dying embers, the chandelier lights seemed so dim. I blinked hard, hoping my eyes would adjust. When they did, I was amazed.

Marble statues of historical people. Oil paintings of more historical people. An arched ceiling dripping with brassy chandeliers that reflect off of a glossy checkered floor. A blood-red carpet rushing down a grand staircase like a waterfall, lined with golden railing. A dusty, old smell mixed with floral air freshener.

That was about all my mind would process, considering Felix had overloaded my physical and mental state with his little 'declaration

That was about all my mind would process, considering Felix had overloaded my physical and mental state with his little 'declaration.'

Girlfriend. He called me his girlfriend and cocooned me in his embrace as if to say 'she belongs to me' to the entire press...no, to the entire world. Would he really lie about that to so many people just for his 'mission?' Didn't he realize that his actions would put me in the spotlight - more so than if he told people I was merely his 'date'? But most of all, was it true?

Our footsteps echoed in an eerie way. If the lights somehow started flickering or a mysterious shadow danced across the walls, this could easily turn into a horror movie. It didn't help that the room was abandoned - everyone must already be in the ballroom. Thankfully, I had Felix as my knight in shining pink armor to protect me should my worst nightmares come true.

Felix wasn't speaking. Or explaining himself. He carried on as if nothing had happened. As if he hadn't just declared me as his partner.

When I tightened my grip on his arm, I felt his bicep muscle flex. It seemed to be an involuntary response. Based on his distant look and blank expression, his mind was clearly miles away from me. He was deeply thinking... calculating. Did he even remember I was with him?

"Felix?" I said, his name echoing again and again until fading into silence.

He blinked, returning back to earth and me. I had interrupted whatever he was thinking and by the looks of it, he left his little world in an unresolved state.

"Uh-huh," he said, keeping his gaze straight ahead. Hints of irritation.

"Did you mean what you said? Out there? Are we..."

"Yes," he cut me off, tilting his chin up.

My knees weakened and for a split moment, I forgot how to breathe. So...it was true. I was...

"Really!" I screeched, my shoulders tightening as I broke away from his arm and clasped my hands together. I wanted to jump, to scream, to run as fast as I could down a grassy meadow, or to crazy dance around the room.