Ch39: Magnetic

"What's my reward?" I asked, sitting myself next to Felix on the couch.

"Answers," he said flatly.

My brows furrowed. I felt immediate disappointment.

"That's not a reward. It's what I deserve," I said, straightening my posture.

"Oh, entitled are we?" Felix said with a raised brow, "And what reward does Kitten think she deserves?"

My mind went blank. What should I ask for? After all, I basically saved Felix's life. My payment should be great since he had unlimited resources. But then, would that make me seem like a gold-digger? Would it be bad if I asked for money? What if I asked for...

My eyes landed on Felix's soft lips as he drank his coffee. A strange flutter swirled in my stomach and sent a shiver across my body.

"Umm," I hesitated, unable to break away from his mouth. No. This was bad. I was falling back into my crush for him. I was drowning in my desire to kiss him. Could that be my reward?

"I'm not blind, you know," Felix said with a smirk.

Like always, he noticed. Time to redirect.

"But if that's what you really want," Felix leaned towards me, his eyes glued to my lips. Was he really going to kiss me? This was great! No. This was terrible! If Drunk Felix dealt me an intoxicating kiss, Conscious Felix's kiss would be fatal. I don't think I could ever recover. I needed to stop this!

"Food! I want food. You should buy me a lifetime supply of Andre's Ice cream whenever I want. Deal?"

He stared down at me with a curious look.

"Seriously? Out of everything I could offer, you pick ice cream?" He sounded both intrigued and frustrated.

"A lifetime's supply, to be specific. And don't judge. Ice cream is my emotional support," I said, with the flick of a wrist. I took deep breaths to still my pounding drum in my ears and chest.

"Fair point," He sighed, his breath burning my cheeks.

"Anyway, we're getting off track. I want my answers that I've earned now. Tell me what the heck happened last night," I said, scooting away and putting a pillow in between us. He read the social queues and created a respectable space.

"I should be asking you that," he said, resting his arm across the couch in a way that caused his bicep to budge. Okay? Was he trying to distract me? And dang! He looked so good in his black casual shirt. It was well-fitted and revealed the definition in his chest. I tried to refocused myself.

"No. I mean...if you wanted to steal the book from your father, why did you drink so much? Didn't you realize getting drunk would ruin..."

"I don't drink, Ms. Dupain-Cheng," he said in a serious tone.

I felt an eerie chill creep up my spine.

"What else could it have been? Maybe you accidentally drank it without realizing," I said, raising my shoulders and hands.

"Is that your attempt at a blonde joke?" Felix said skeptically.

"No, no! I swear. I just thought..."

"I was drugged," he said with a huff.

I lost all the words in my mouth. Silence fell between us - all except the ticking clock on the wall and the sounds of neighbors closing apartment doors. Drugged? I didn't even...

"Like ...someone spiked your drink?" I clarified.

"Exactly," he said, drawing his eyes away from me and onto his bare toes.