━chapter 2

Chapter 2
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

"Aleyne House for Orphans housed many children

"Aleyne House for Orphans housed many children. Those who lost their parents during the War, those who were abandoned for having magic, and those who were left for not."

Adhara Black assumed she fitted into the first category since her father did in fact die during the War. But she had an inkling that, if she had ended up being a squib, then perhaps her mother wouldn't have left her here. So maybe the second option also suited her.

Of course, the second part of the paragraph didn't refer to squibs. It referred to muggle-borns, specifically those with parents who didn't like it when they started levitating objects at the age of four. It was the third part of the paragraph that was meant for squibs, the only children of Aleyne who didn't attend Hogwarts.

In total, there were only 37 children at Aleyne—there used to be more, but they left when they turned 15 years old—14 of which leave for school every September. Adhara noticed how most of those came back with green-rimmed robes. Four of them were in Ravenclaw, two of them were Gryffindor, two in Hufflepuff, and seven of them were in Slytherin.

Adhara supposed that made sense. Growing up at Aleyne, the children had to learn how to be resourceful and cunning, but it also required them to be brave, intelligent and patient from time to time.

The other magical ones, approximately thirteen of them, were still too young to attend. Adhara was the only one who started last year, and it seemed there was only going to be one new Hogwarts student also this year.

And for some reason, she wouldn't stop following Adhara around that summer.

"She's at the door again," Yaritza informed her from the bunk underneath. Her thick black hair was tied up in a bun, strands sticking to her large forehead because of sweat, but she was far too preoccupied to actually care. Her fingers fumbled around a needle and thread, trying the mend the hole in one of her shirts.

Adhara glanced down from the top bunk and noticed Roisin Han's shadow seeping into their room from under the door.

She huffed out a breath but didn't do anything to solve the matter, instead, she reached for the cash she kept hidden in a hole she made on the inner side of her mattress, along with her father's letters and diary. Her heart always skipped a beat whenever she laid her eyes on the leather book.

"She won't leave until you talk to her."

"You can talk to her yourself if you want."

"That's your business, not mine. And besides, she'll ask about Hogwarts, how am I meant to answer her questions? I don't know anything about the place."

"Tell her the generics. About the Houses or something. I'm sure your parent tried to drill Slytherin pride in you before you came here."

"You would know more."