━chapter 19

Chapter 19
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

ADHARA'S HANDS TREMBLED SLIGHTLY. Adhara received three letters in total. The first two were already opened and tucked into her father's diary for safekeeping. She was still tense from those letters, not that they contained anything bad, Adhara just didn't think she would receive any letters from Remus and Sirius.

Though she probably should have, considering they both have been consistently writing to her through the year, it was Adhara who never responded (the note about Winky, and the newspaper with her article didn't count, she told herself).

But still. It was the Spring Equinox Holidays. Harry had already notified them that he wouldn't return for the break, and though they had asked Adhara as well, she hadn't replied. Harry's reply should have been enough for both. Therefore, neither Remus nor her uncle had any reason to write to her.

Except, well. It was her birthday today.

Sirius and Remus have written to her numerous times before. It made sense that they would write to her today, too. It's just that. Adhara wasn't expecting it. At least, she didn't think she could expect it. Should expect it. (She didn't hope for anything. Adhara never hoped.)

But they had written to her. They even send her a gift. A pendant with a picture of her father.

Adhara clutched the necklace, pocketing it. Firmly, she kept her gaze away from her friends and tore open the third letter.

Adhara's hands shook.

All of her friends stayed back at school for the break, so other than Remus and Sirius, no one else should be writing to her. Especially not Roisin of all people.

It seemed like the relationship between the Hufflepuff and her friends had grown a lot over the past year. Roisin was spending the holidays with the Weasleys, and according to the letter, Molly Weasley also invited the girl to stay with them in the summer.

Unbeknownst to her, a weight lifted off of Adhara's chest. She had to swallow down a sudden swell of emotions that choked her up.

Roisin, and all the other children of Aleyne, they weren't friends, they were far from family. But they were not nothing either. The perfect word to describe their bond didn't exist. Camaraderie would be the closest, but even then, it didn't feel right.

They understood each other more than anyone else ever would, which was why guilt churned in Adhara's stomach ever since she left them all behind.

Adara didn't regret leaving Aleyne. Far from it. She was grateful that she got out, and she would leave all over again if she went back in time. Adhara had to leave. Aleyne was slowly killing her, and she didn't even realize it until she found the Grangers.

Alas, everything had a price, and with Adhara's newfound freedom came the aching pressure of guilt.

No matter how many times she tried to tell herself otherwise, she couldn't make herself believe that she hadn't abandoned them. Yaritza, Roisin and Thomas stayed behind and suffered the consequences of her departure, while Adhara had people soothingly apply salve to her wounds.

It felt undeserved, it felt like betrayal, in a way. It was irrational to think that day, Adhara knew that. And, in a way, it was insulting. They didn't want her pity. Adhara knew that because she didn't want anyone's pity either. All her life, she watched the older children turn fifteen and leave without once turning back. Never once did she blame them, it didn't make sense to. She would've done the same in their place, and Adhara knew they would've done the same if they were in her place.