━chapter 14

Chapter 14
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR ADHARA TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE BOY-WITH-THE-SCAR'S LIFE WASN'T AS PERFECT HOW PEOPLE SEEMED TO THINK IT WAS

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR ADHARA TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE BOY-WITH-THE-SCAR'S LIFE WASN'T AS PERFECT HOW PEOPLE SEEMED TO THINK IT WAS. Adhara grew up around mistreated children, she was one herself. Maybe that was why it was easier for her to notice certain things. Because she knew where to look.

One thing she noticed about Harry was his 'saving people' thing. Initially, she believed it might have had something to do with some unconscious need to live up to his name as the saviour of the wizarding world. But recently, she realized it wasn't. It was more than that. Maybe it had something to do with the fighting spirit that came with the emblem of lion stitched onto his robes. Or perhaps it was a hidden need to prove himself to the world or simply out of guilt.

Whatever the reason was, however, it was beyond Adhara's comprehension. The fact that Harry was so willing to sacrifice himself to help other people without getting anything in return was a concept foreign to her. After all, at Aleyne, things worked differently. It was always the 'every kid for themselves' mentality that went around. Obviously, it was. It was their way of ensuring they would survive.

It was how Adhara lived her entire life, too. In fact, it was the only kind of relationship she thought she had with Yaritza.

She didn't even notice when it all changed.

Adhara didn't know when exactly she started caring for Harry so much. She supposed it was somewhere along the summer after their first year when she put together an entire plan to reach Privet Drive. However, perhaps it was way before that, and she just hadn't realized it yet then. After all, why would she even consider visiting a boy who she knew nothing about, let alone ask Matron for permission to do so. No matter how many times she convinced herself it was because she wanted an escape from Aleyne, she knew it to not be true.

And then Harry had expressed how he wanted to get Adhara out of Aleyne, explaining himself with a reason as simple as 'just because'. And Adhara couldn't help but have the exact same sentiment as him when it came to himself.

'I wish I could get you out of the Dursley's' she replied, then.

And she meant it.

━━━━

Adhara was exhausted. The long night aside, carrying her godbrother all the way to the Hospital Wing had been even more tiring. Harry didn't weigh much, but Adhara herself wasn't very strong either. Yet, she carried him on his back, holding him in place with one hand as the other controlled the unconscious form of her uncle with a wand.

"Oh my!"

She heard Pomfrey but didn't bother searching her out. Adhara knew she was there; Millie must be somewhere near too. She was aware of all the other presences in the room; Hermione and Ron were behind her. But she wasn't paying much attention to them. All Adhara cared about right now was making sure Harry was safe.