━chapter 2

Chapter 2
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

HIS FATHER WAS NOT HAPPY, DRACO NOTED

HIS FATHER WAS NOT HAPPY, DRACO NOTED. And when his father wasn't in a good mood, he couldn't be in a good mood. The fragile peace of his home was held up by strings that resided in Lucius Malfoy's grasp. And if he decided to release them, then the peace fell.

After losing his title as Head Governor, and after failing his task with the diary, wherever his father went, a dark cloud followed. He swung his cane at the elves more often, and Draco stayed inside his bedroom as much as he could, only leaving when he was called for.

Like right now.

Draco held his hands clasped together in front of him, wondering what his father wanted from him as the man paced back and forth in his study. His hand was clutched around the silver snake's head on his cane.

Draco sneaked a peek at the desk. A newspaper, a copy of The Prophet he assumed, was laid open on the table. The thirteen-year-old noticed a leather-bound diary right on top of it.

He flinched when he heard a loud smack. Draco looked up to see his father's cane lying useless under one of the many windows.

He didn't dare to ask what was wrong.

Lucius walked to his desk with furious steps and grabbed the newspaper with his fist. He accidentally knocked the diary, which fell to the ground.

"Do you see this, Draco? Do you see this man?" He shoved the picture of a psychotic-looking man in Draco's sight. The man was screaming and then laughing inside the picture.

"This is Sirius Black. Your mother's idiotic cousin, Draco. You are related to this lunatic."

Draco didn't bother to point out that, given the circumstances in which purebloods married, he was almost certainly related to this man as well.

"Years ago, he was involved in an incident. One that ended in a way that would've made our Dark Lord very happy."

He had to suppress himself at the mention of You-Know-Who.

"And now," Lucius laughed. He stared at his son with wide eyes, looking almost as crazy as the man in the picture, "now he's escaped Azkaban! Azkaban of all places!"

Lucius spotted the diary on the floor and sunk down next to it, which shocked Draco. He has seen his father in various states in his life. Every time, even when he was angry or annoyed, or simply on the losing end of an argument, each and every time his father still managed to keep his head high and stay dignified.

He has never seen his father on his knees, or even, and he hoped this wasn't the case, scared.

"And I failed him," he said softly. Lucius held on to the diary.