━chapter 5

Chapter 5
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

AT THE END OF ANNE-DE-LISSE ALLEY, THERE WAS A GATE. A small gate that was once painted black, but now, after years of misery, has chipped off, revealing the rusted metal underneath. It wasn't a large gate, wide enough to let someone in but too narrow to let anyone out. Neither did it stand very tall, forcing Remus to duck his head when passing through the unlocked gate. Otherwise, his tall figure would surely hit the letters hung overhead: 

ALEYNE

house for orphans

He gingerly opened the door, grabbing the bars with delicate fingers as it seemed like they would crumble at a mere touch. His other hand covered his nose with a handkerchief, trying its best to block out the sickening stench that seemed to ooze from every crack of the dark lane.

Even Knockturn Alley was less filthy than this place.

The alley almost felt like a test. Every single one of Remus' instincts was telling him to turn back. When he stepped into a puddle and realized as he took his foot out that the liquid was too thick to be water, the splash echoed a sound that seemed to sing: go back. When he walked past a stout woman, rummaging through the garbage, seemingly unaffected by the smell, she looked up with striking eyes and hissed words that, to Remus' ears, sounded awfully like get away!

But Remus did not budge. He walked straight on without looking back. Adhara was at the end of this seemingly endless alley, and he was going to see her. All the obstacles the alley threw at him only made him want to reach the orphanage even quicker.

Aleyne stood right behind the gate, the true end of the alley. Unlike the gate, this building didn't look like it would collapse. Old, surely it was very old if the style of architecture had anything to say for it. Made out of stone bricks, the sturdy house stood a few meters taller than the rest of the houses of Anne-De-Liss.

One should definitely be able to see such a tall building even from outside of the neighborhood, standing out against the other buildings. But Remus didn't remember seeing anything. He didn't feel the effects of a confounding spell when he approached the orphanage thus he wondered how the sight could have escaped him.

Remus' licked his lips, letting out a noise that sounded like he was trying to clear his throat, but stopped midway. He grabbed the knocker, pulled it back, and held his breath.

Remus almost banged the door when he heard someone speak up, making him flinch.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

He whirled around at the voice.

It was a teenager. They looked older than Adhara and Harry, but maybe by only a few years. Dark skin contrasting greatly with the white dress reaching past their knees. Their head was recently shaven, Remus took note, and they were holding a rake. What leaves they were raking, though, Remus didn't know. The kid wasn't holding the rake normally but rather with both hands like a weapon.

They saw Remus as a threat.

"Are you leaving a child behind?"

It took a while for Remus to understand what they were implying. He fumbled with his words when he caught on.

"O-oh! No, no! I don't have a child."

The teen remained in a defensive stance. "Then, are you here to take one? That doesn't happen very often...although, it isn't completely unseen."

Remus waved his hands. "No! Well actually, I err-" The kid clearly didn't trust him. He couldn't just say he wanted to pay Adhara a visit because he was worried about her. What was he to her?