━chapter 17

Chapter 17
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

SIRIUS PRIDED HIMSELF ON HIS STEALTH. Concealment and tricks had been some of his acquired skills, ones he perfected with all his maraudings during his younger years. Yet, somehow, Narcissa Malfoy seemed to always know where and how to find him.

In the corner of the ballroom, Sirius hoped that whoever it was that he lobbed onto his cousins before evading her had kept her busy enough to lose sight of Sirius. With her mouth pursed and the infamous Black glare fixed onto him, Sirius backed into the crowd, disappearing as he innocently waved at her.

Sullen, Sirius watched the crowd. He wasn't very keen on showing up to the Yule party in the first place, preferring to cuddle up with his boyfriend in front of the fire. Yet, here he was, with a bunch of purebred toffs.

Trays of wine glasses floated around the place, stopping in front of guests to allow them to pick one up. Sirius was avoiding the drinks, a promise to Remus (and to himself) that he was adamant about keeping.

Alcohol never did do him any good, and even less so recently.

"Had enough of your childish endeavours, yet?"

Sirius flinched, groaning when he realized whose voice it was.

"How do you always find me? I even put up a concealment spell."

Narcissa simply waved her own wand in front of his face, as if to remind him that she was a witch too.

Sirius groaned again. The charm was still on. No one should be able to see them. Sirius wondered how in the world Narcissa could.

"Cousin, you really must grow up. There are many people here who are dying to converse with you. You must take advantage of that."

Narcissa had been strangely supportive of Sirius ever since he reclaimed his title as Lord Black. Sirius was suspicious of her at first, considering her husband was Lord Malfoy, and Sirius' position in the Wizangamot directly threatened his. Though, Narcissa has a simple answer to that.

"If there is one thing I learned over the past years, it is that family must stick together. My husband and my son mean everything to me, but I am still a Black. And so are you and Andromeda."

Sirius had scoffed. "You didn't seem to care so much about family when she and I got disowned."

"Leaving was your decision, not mine." Narcissa hasn't even bothered to look at him when she told him. "Besides, I was child. So were you. So was Regulus."

"Since when have you cared about Regulus?"

"Since his older brother left him the same way as way as how my older sister left me."

Narcissa and Regulus had been similar in that way. Always perfect, always calm. Family came first to them, even if it meant making sacrifices. To them, Andromeda's and his actions had seemed like a betrayal.

Sirius swallowed down the guilt. "We had to leave. They would've killed us."

"I know, Sirius. I know."

Narcissa's views on muggleborns were still the same. She still believed that muggleborns posed a threat to wizardkind. She still believed in blood purity.

Blood was important, no matter what.

And that was why she kept trying to get Sirius to build better relations with the members of the Wizangamot.

Sirius sighed, exasperated. He leaned back against the wall, watching people mingle. "Is there anyone I don't have to bother talking to?"

Narcissa hummed. Wine glass to her lips, her gaze washed over the crowd.