━chapter 2

Chapter 2
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

SIRIUS BLACK WAS NEVER ONE TO FOLLOW RULES

SIRIUS BLACK WAS NEVER ONE TO FOLLOW RULES. He opened an ear to the adults who told him what to do, carefully listening to every single word. And then proceeded to do the exact opposite. What with parents and a brother who didn't stand by his side, it felt as though the only way he could be true to himself was if he did the opposite of what they told him.

He carried this habit throughout his adolescence, going as far as to disobey even the teachers he actually respected. Not because he wanted to be different than them, as he did with his family. But because it was what made him Sirius Black, and if he could stay true to at least one of his names, 'Defiance' was better than 'Black'.

But that insouciant lifestyle of his didn't last. How could it? Thrust into a war the second he stepped foot out of the safety of Hogwarts Castle, Sirius had no choice but to join a faction and follow orders.

And wasn't that one of his biggest mistakes?

A mistake that cost him a brother and just maybe his own sanity.

━━━━

Harry jumped, hitting his head on a shelf when a mouse ran straight over his hand. He pulled up, hand instinctually going to his head.

The shed was full of dangerous tools, so Harry had to be careful about how he moved. Aunt Petunia wanted the place to be spick and span, but the task had proven to be more difficult than assumed.

And just his luck, it started raining not long ago. Harry had to keep taking things out of the shed, to sweep properly, and then bring them back in. Needless to say, he was drenched from head to toe, his trembling hands making it more difficult to dust.

Harry was grateful, at least, for having a better immune system than his godsister. Adhara would have been sneezing like crazy at his point.

But then again, maybe he would've finished cleaning out the place before the rain even started if he had her help.

He wondered what she and Sirius were up to.

Harry saw the news, he wasn't going to pretend like he didn't. The newspaper came by owl two days ago, before his uncle shooed the bird away with a magazine. The article declared Sirius' innocence.

Which meant, he most probably got custody of Adhara and him. It had been two days already, surely Sirius had gone to pick up his niece at this point.

"Of course, they would want the real niece first."

Uncle Vernon's voice echoed in his head like a broken record. Harry couldn't help but believe his words to be true. That Sirius only said what he did to appease Harry.

To stall. Exactly like Aunt Petunia used to. After all, that was what all adults did.

"At least" said Harry to himself, "at least Adhara's out of that place."