━chapter 20

Chapter 20
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

HARRY STOOD STILL — CONFUSED, ANNOYED, AMUSED OR EVEN EMBARRASSED, HE WASN'T TOO SURE — BUT HE STOOD THERE QUIETLY, WITH HIS ARMS SPREAD OPEN AS REMUS AND MRS. WEASLEY PONED AND PRODDED HIM. Remus shoved a list of spells in his hands — "Just in case." — which Mrs. Weasley removed immediately because — "That's cheating!" — and handed him a pre-injury potion instead.

"Drink up, darling. It'll heal any injury you get within the first hour in an instant! Just don't ask what's in it. Ha!"

Sirius rolled his eyes and pushed both adults away. He held Harry by his face, and Harry tried to gulp down any fear that made its way up to his throat.

Sirius rubbed a thumb right under Harry's eye. "You'll be fine," told Sirius, looking right into his eyes with such conviction that Harry couldn't help but believe him.

"You know the spell for lumos maxima?"

Harry nodded.

"If you're in trouble, you use the spell. And I'll be right next to you within the second."

"But I'll be disqualified."

"And you'll be safe. Okay?"

On Harry's right was the Quidditch field, and Harry already knew what the sight beheld without even looking. The entrance to the labyrinth, which Adhara had deemed the very day the hedges were put up was a taint on the school and that Dumbledore was losing his sanity quicker than she had first imagined. Harry also knew the other champions stood near the entrance with their family. But Harry's hands felt cold, and his legs felt numb. Sirius' eyes were keeping him in place and keeping him safe, and Harry did not want to move.

"Wh — what if I break my wand?"

"Then you steal someone else's."

"That would put them in trouble."

"But it'll keep you safe."

Harry frowned. "I don't want to put anyone else in danger because of me."

Sirius smiled like he did whenever he saw something no one else did. "It'll only be for a second, though. And I'll bring them back to safety, too."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

━━━

Sirius and Remus walked him down to the field, joining the rest of the champions.

"Look. The Diggory's," Remus remarked.

Harry glanced at the family, then averted his gaze right away. He couldn't look at their direction. He'd do something stupid, he just knew it.

He grabbed Sirius by his elbow and dragged him in the opposite direction. "Have you met the other Champions? How about we go talk to them?"

"Cedric Diggory is a Champion, is he not?"

"Yes, well—"

"Good afternoon to all."

Harry immediately froze when he heard Bertha Jorkins' voice. His scar started to sting, and he unconsciously took a step back. He hasn't forgotten about what happened in the forest with Moody.