58

PLEASE READ 

AN: SURPRISE SHAWTIES!!! lemme explain myself real quick. Basically, I wanted to wait until I had entirely finished writing Twin Flame until I uploaded it. All that is remaining is this chapter and a three part epilogue. However, as previously mentioned in my announcement, I have a huge assignment due so I won't be able to complete the epilogue for a little while longer (I promise it won't be too long) and I felt terrible uploading the announcement and getting people's hopes up thinking it would be a chapter when it's not. I did a poll over on my instagram and just over 50% of people said they would prefer if I waited and released all the chapters at once, but, again, I feel terrible that I haven't updated in so long and I genuinely miss you guys a lot. So, I've decided to release the final chapter  and part 1/3 of the epilogue today, and the final two parts of the epilogue when they are finished (which will hopefully be over the next week or so) 

Thank you all for your patience and understanding, and thank you for joining me on this wonderful journey - I never thought it would get so big and involve so many people. Each and every one of you has been the driving force for me to continue writing - you have helped reignite my love of creating and shown me nothing but an abundance of love and positivity, and I am forever grateful. There will never, ever be a way I can express my gratitude in a way that truly reflects its magnitude. I love you all, thank you. Please enjoy chapter 58, the final chapter. x

Iris' POV

Sunlight had always been my preferred method of waking. Nothing compared to pretty golden beams casting a red haze over heavy eyelids, prying them open, the sun dancing along the skyline, pleading to be looked at and appreciated. There was something so raw, so authentic, about waking with the sun. Oftentimes I'd hurry to the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of the sunrise, praying clouds didn't hang low and that the sky was painted in pastel hues, or striking reds and oranges. One thing I'd missed being away from Fred was the way the sun cascaded light over him so perfectly, accentuating the sharp curve of his jaw and the toned lines of his stomach, and the abundance of freckles that danced over his cheeks, shoulders, forehead and nose. A tranquil moment of quiet to admire the waking sun and the person I loved most in the world sleep peacefully beside me was undoubtedly the best way to wake.

The sky had been grey as I arose this morning.

Gentle patters of rain lashed against the window pane, the horizon thick with dense clouds. I woke with a heavy head and a heavy heart, knowing exactly what today entailed. Today was the beginning. It was the first step, a leap into a new life, I was launching myself into the unknown, going blindly into a world I knew would be much harder, but all the more nourishing nonetheless. Today marked the start of my journey to healing. This was a journey I knew would be difficult, a journey I knew would certainly not be linear, a journey with highs and lows, an unpredictable and challenging journey, but a necessary one, one that was unavoidable if I wanted to lead a happy life, not just for myself, but with Fred. I could only hope he too could take this time as a time to heal, so we could come back together in the near future, so we could reunite and thrive. All I wanted was for us to be happy.

He stirred awake as I busied myself in the bedroom, folding clothes and tidying around, anxiously pacing as I waited for him to wake.

"Hey," he hummed, his morning voice deep and raspy, sending chills through my spine. He scrunched his eyes, guarding them from the light that poured in through the now open curtains, his forearm rested against his forehead, bare biceps flexing as he moved. Even under the circumstances, and despite the fact I'd known him for what seemed like forever, my stomach still flipped at the sight of him. Every day it came as a surprise to me just how in love with him I was. That fact alone made my decision to leave increasingly difficult. I swallowed down my racing thoughts and offered him a gentle smile, edging back towards the bed, slipping in beside him. He rolled onto his side, studying me intently as I copied his movements, so we faced each other. He took my hand in his, interlacing our fingers, running his free hand through my hair, placing a lingering kiss on my forehead, then my nose, then down to the corners of my mouth, before placing a final peck on my lips. I sighed into him, melting into his touch.