Watch It

Tryouts for football rolled around faster than Shea would have liked. He and Simon had fallen into a happy little routine that he hated to disrupt, but it was important for him to play football, especially if he wanted to get into a good college. Luckily, Shea already had equipment and knowledge about the sport, so he hadn't been worried. Still, looking around at the other larger boys present, he was a little shaky. Shea dressed quickly and met the coach with the other new boys on the field. The existing team from the prior year was already out, and the captain led them in warmups. He was a blonde-ish boy who looked to be in his senior year of high school. Shea tried to ignore appearance when possible, but the boy had a sort of handsome glow about him, and Shea wasn't surprised that the boy was on the team.

     Fears of being behind quickly subsided as Shea made his way onto the field and began his laps. A running back, he had a strong speedy stride, and he could outrun almost anyone. The boy who seemed to be in charge was the only one ahead of him, and he smiled in approval. The look on his face made Shea glad he'd moved. It was a pride that he didn't ever get to feel at his old school, where he was labeled for something other than his achievements.

     "You're good." The boy was breathing heavily, but still confident and definite. Shea got a better view of his sharp jawline, and striking eyes. Lusting after teammates was not a good path to go down, so he tore himself away. "Where'd you come from?"

      "Cambridge High." Shea nodded.

     "Hmm. They're our rivals, you know? What if you're a spy?" Said one of the other boys, whom Shea thought he recognized.

     "Spy or not, you're good." The first boy repeated. "I'm Asher Ericsson, what's your name, dude?"

      "Shea O'Connor." Shea responded, glad to have the attention on him for his skills.

     "Well, O'Connor, I'll speak to coach on your behalf." Asher smiled a lopsided grin, "And usually that means that you're in."

     "Thank you." Shea was relieved to have seemingly made the team, and having someone close to a friend didn't hurt.

      "What position do you play?" The second boy asked. He was stuck to the side of Asher like a shadow. Something struck Shea the wrong way about the boy. He seemed familiar, and there was no reason for him to be, until it hit him. "I'm Garrett, by the way."

     "Running back." Garrett had been the strange boy that had approached him in the hallway, Shea realized suddenly. Back then he had seemed so weird, but standing here there didn't appear to be anything wrong with him; which meant there could be credence to his claims. 

     "Well, We're running over to the diner across the street, Mr. Running back, would you like to tag along?" Asher offered.

     "Really?" Shea's eyes widened. Never in a million years would the boys from his original team have invited a new kid to go out with them after practice. "Definitely."

....

     "Garret you SUCK!" Asher called in a way that made Shea cringe. It was as if this boy was everything that made people think the boys on the football team were immature. He was kind, sure, but he and Garrett joked in a manner very similar to children. Shea would have much preferred to be with Simon for the evening.

     "I know. I totally never should have said that. I really thought I'd score this time, but I went and screwed it up." Garrett shouted over the ruckus of the group.

     "Don't worry about it man, you'll get the girl next time." Another boy added.

     "I dunno about that." Garrett shrugged.

     "Aw, buddy, don't be like that." Asher patted his friend's back supportively.

     "I just don't feel like girls like me." Garrett whined.

     "What do you mean?" Another boy called, "You're the whole damn package."

     "Yeah, any girl'd kill to be with you." The earlier boy affirmed.

     "I don't think so." Garrett complained.

     "Listen, you're hot!" Asher shouted suddenly, met with a few whoops from around the table. "I am not afraid to say that." Asher smiled boldly. "If I were a girl, I'd be all over you."

     "Shut up Asher!" Another boy yelled, and Shea cringed at the display. He'd hoped to enter a different environment at his new school, but was unimpressed by the attitudes of those around him.

     The conversation continued along that path, remaining loud and obnoxious. Shea was a used to it, but that didn't mean he liked it. Shea wasn't really participating and Asher had seemingly noticed, pivoting his attention away from the rest of the boys, and unto Shea.

     "In all seriousness..." Asher turned to face Shea for the first time during the meal, "Have you been getting along alright? Made any new friends?"

     "Yeah. We can tell you which girls are easy." One of the boys shouted, earning a fit of laughter.

     "Naw... We won't do that." Asher crossed his defined arms, "But we can tell you which boys are bad news."

     "Um.. yeah actually. I made friends with a sophomore named Simon Matthews." Shea stated plainly, and all the chatter at the table stopped. The boy who warned him gave him a concerned glance, and several of the others looked to Asher, as if he might implode. "What?"

     "Simon Matthews is...is he the one that-" One began.

     "I- That's well..." Asher interrupted with a stutter.

     "Is he bad news?" Shea tilted his head to the side, and Garrett shot him a death glare.

     "No... but the people who are drawn to him are..." Asher shrugged.

     "Are you saying I would use him, or... that he isn't good enough to have friends?" Shea countered.

      "No it's just... What do you want with him?" Asher looked down, suddenly cross, as if he was trying to place together the proper words.

     "Nothing... I-"

     "Just leave him be, okay? There are lot's of boys you can be friends with, just let that poor boy be alone." Asher shook his head in disappointment. "I can't make you listen, and I can't make you do what I say.. But, Coach will listen to me, and if I say you're nothing but trouble, then you're nothing but damn trouble."

     "I don't think that's fair." Shea's brows furrowed.

      "You can sit with us now, you don't need him anymore." Garrett shrugged. "Tomorrow I'll save the seat next to me for you, and if you don't come, then we'll know what you've decided."

     "We should get going. It's late." Asher stood from the table, and as if he was the king, the rest of the boys stood up to go with him, and followed him out the door. "Just think about what you want. We'll see you tomorrow.... or, we won't."

     "Damn." Shea whispered watching the boys go.