Growing Up

"Kit is coming over today," Simon stated as he walked through the kitchen. 

     "Simon.. can we talk?" Liam wandered into the kitchen looking pale as a ghost. 

     "That depends," Simon tilted his head. "Did you quit one of your jobs and enroll at a trade school?"

      "Yes."

     "Good. Then we can talk." Simon smiled. 

     "How.. how are you doing with all of this?" Liam asked after a moment. He wasn't really sure what he was supposed to say in a situation like this.

       "I'm surprisingly alright," Simon shrugged. "I got a job answering phones at a law office. It's not great money, but it's good money, and it's where I want to go... I feel like I'm taking charge of my life, like I'm finally in control." 

        "That's good," Liam paused. "Promise me you won't overdo it."

        "Liam. I'm growing up. I can handle myself. Promise me you won't overdo it." 

         "I won't." Liam sat for a moment in silence. "I really am sorry. I know you didn't want an apology, but... there goes."

        "It's alright." Simon sighed heavily. "Your heart was in the right place, that's what counts. I don't know that I'm fully over you lying to me... but all you wanted was the best."

         "I can live with that."

         "You're gonna have to," Simon chuckled. "It's not like either of us can afford to go anywhere."

          "Yeah... I'm kinda glad though. I messed everything up so much I'd like for us to live together and have a second shot at a normal, open and honest relationship," Liam mused. 

          "I'd like that too," Simon smiled. "I'll be upstairs getting changed. You can let Kit in if he gets here before I get down." 

           Simon left the kitchen with Liam still at the table. Liam meant what he said, he really did want Simon and him to have a chance to start over. The year had been such a mess and he was finally certain that with everything out in the open, it could really get better. 

          There was a knock at the door and Liam wandered over to let Kit in. Kit was a strange presence in his life; never had anyone made him so nervous before, and he really couldn't tell why. 

          "Hi Liam!" Kit grinned, walking right through the door as if he owned the place. "How're you?" 

        "Good." 

        "So... have things been going any better with Simon? Are we being more honest?"

        "I think so." Liam shrugged. "I'm trying."

         "That's nice.." Kit inhaled. 

         "Do you have something on your mind?" Liam asked after a moment. 

         "No." Kit mumbled. "Not really." 

        "Oh- well..."

        "Can I ask you something?" Kit interrupted.

         "Shoot."

        "Are you... gay, bi, pan, or something in between?" 

        "What?" Liam paled. "Why?"

       "Well, Simon just mentioned that you were lying about having a relationship with that one girl, and I thought I was maybe getting a vibe..."

       "Vibe? Like a gay vibe? Like the kinda vibe that gay people give off?" 

        "No, not a gay vibe, just a .... 'not straight' vibe." Kit mused with a chuckle.

        "Why?" 

         "Why what?" 

         "Why would you care?" Liam accused.

        "Well.. I sorta like you... and if you weren't totally straight, I'd want to know if I had a chance." 

        "You like me?" Liam's eyes bugged. 

        "Well yeah, I thought I made that kind of obvious." Kit smirked. 

        "I just... I thought... You weren't joking with all those comments you made?" 

        "Well don't go getting a big head about it or anything, I just-"

        "But you're so young?" Liam mumbled. "You're like Simon's little friend." 

         "I am not." Kit's eyes betrayed genuine hurt. "I'm going to be a senior next year. You'll be a sophomore. That's what, two three years?" 

        "But you're under eighteen." 

       "For a few months, besides the age of consent in Massachusetts is sixteen." Kit reasoned. 

        "Why do you know that?" 

       "I- Well I wanted to know for-" Kit mumbled. 

        "You're like... like my baby brother." 

        "Is that what you've thought of me this whole time? Like I'm some kid, some baby, you had to keep an eye on while your brother wasn't there? God... I mean all the things... all the times... you just thought of me as an annoyance?"

         "No Kit. That's not what I meant. I didn't say you were an annoyance... and..." Liam sighed. 

       "But you thought it, right? That's what you thought. That's how you felt." Kit argued. 

       "No.. not at all... I think I maybe.. I... I think I liked you too, it's just... I'm in college and you're not, and if we were together you'd... you might let that influence your college decision.. I just-"

        "Just what?" 

        "Calm down," Liam cautioned. "Your friendship means a lot to me... and I'm.. glad to know you like me.. but you're going to go through a lot of change in the next few weeks. With your mom, with Asher, senior year and then college. That's a lot. I don't want to be like... like a weight that's keeping you from reaching your potential."

        "I can.. you're not a weight, first of all. And I can reach my potential with you." 

        "Look. I'm not saying no. I'm saying maybe when you're a little older. If you still like me when you turn twenty then you can come back and we can see. We can see if there's still something there. But for me, I can't in good conscience do that to you. Not while you're still so young. You should go to college, meet people, good people, better than me, and have the freedom to do all the things you've always wanted. You should experience college, and then decide if you want a deadbeat like me." Liam ran a hand through his shaggy blonde hair. 

          "I can't listen to you talk about yourself like that. I.. I shouldn't be here. I'm.. I should go.. tell Simon I'm sorry, and that I'll text him later," Kit said with finality, then turned and walked out the door. 

          "Hey-" Simon said as he walked into the room. "Hey. Where'd Kit go?" 

         "Kit left. He'll text you." 

         "What? Why?" Simon asked. 

        "I think I just wrecked things again." Liam groaned.