drinking... drinking... Drunk

"I don't care what you think!" Kit screamed into the phone. "Well that's your opinion." He continued. "I do not want you talking bad about him. Not to me. Do you know how awful it is to badmouth your own son to his brother? I'm hanging up." Kit stated firmly to his mother. He'd heard the last of her complaints about Asher being disrespectful and a bad son. If anyone had been disrespectful, it was her. It was her fault Asher had gone and left anyway. Now Kit was alone. Just like he'd been all those years. Of course, now he had Simon, but his brother being gone from the house was terrible.

The Ericsson home was quiet, too quiet, and Kit was growing reckless. His mother had gone on rampage after rampage, and there was only so much comfort Kit had to offer. She was his adopted mother, so he cared deeply for her, but damn was he angry with her about Asher. Never had he been so angry in his life. Asher was also always a second thought to her, and Kit knew she thought his older brother was a mistake.

Kit thought about calling Asher, but he wasn't sure when his brother got off of work, so instead he called Simon.

"Hey."

"Hi." Simon's voice rang from the other side of the phone, "what's up?"

"Oh no. New question," Kit responded quickly. "I don't like that one. You tell me about you."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. The last thing I want to do is think about my life. Tell me about yours," Kit prodded.

"Well Liam apologized for freaking out about Shea."

"That's weird." Kit fidgeted slightly with his phone, shifting it to the other hand.

"I know. It's so unlike him. I think we need to have a talk, but he isn't back from practice yet."

"Right," Kit rubbed his neck nervously. "Practice."

"I just don't think Liam would lie to me."

"Well you are very close." Kit pursed his lips, "It'd be a surprise. Anyway, are you going to?"

"To what?"

"To message Shea?"

"No." Simon's voice crackled on the other side of the phone. "I'm done with boys for a while, I think. Shea and I were a mess, and just need to be over."

"That's very mature of you."

"Thanks. Now are you sure you don't wanna talk about things?"

"I... I've been fighting a little bit with my mom," Kit mumbled.

"About what?"

"About Asher," Kit ran a hand across his brow. "It's her fault he's gone."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah. Now I told you what you wanted to know, so can we move on?" Kit asked.

"Sure..." There was a shuffling on the other end of the phone, "I actually gotta go, Liam's home. I'll call you in a minute and tell you everything."

"You do that." Kit's weak voice mumbled, "Bye."

.... 

   "What do you want to drink?" Shea's voice called as they entered the foreign home.

     Asher felt like he'd stepped into the belly of the beast, as if he'd walked right into a booby trap. He felt like he was in a place where he was never meant to be. He wanted to have no hard feelings for Shea, but the idea of ironing things out finally held him locked into place.