I Can Help

"I thought I told you to leave him alone," Asher scolded. Shea and him sat alone in the locker room, there earlier than the other teammates. "But apparently you have a hard time following directions. So let me make it clear to you." Asher punched the locker directly next to Shea's face, earning a flinch of fear, "Next time I won't miss." Asher turned around and began to walk from the room.

     "I actually feel bad for you." Shea's words sliced through the air, causing Asher to pause at the door.

     "What?" Asher flipped around. Shea in a fit of bravery smiled proudly as if he'd figured out some secret puzzle Asher wasn't privy to. 

     "You like him, and you don't even know it." Shea chuckled bitterly. 

     "Like who?" Asher crossed his arms over his chest.

      "Why do you care who he sees?" Shea asked, standing from the bench. 

     "That's enough. I'm done with this conversation." 

    "You're killing him, you know?" Shea stated plainly.

      "What?"

     "You've scared all his friends off. He's all alone. He needs somebody." Shea explained, fidgeting slightly. 

     "He's got me. He shouldn't need anyone else." Asher placed his hand on his hips. 

    "That's not how it works." Shea said, earning a frustrated huff from Asher, and ran a hand through his hair.

      "I don't like him like that." Asher re-stated. 

      "Then what you're doing is very unfair." Shea's annoyance was growing, "If not then you're selfish as hell."

     "I-" Asher's brow furrowed. 

     "I don't want to see Simon get hurt." Shea's annoyance turned to a glare. "I could help you, you know?" 

     "Help me how?" 

     "Simon is nervous... he's been a little hard to talk to, I assume." Shea reminded Asher.

     "Yeah. I guess so."

     "Well he likes me... most of the time anyway," Shea winced slightly, "I could put in a good word for you--" 

     "Hang out with us." Asher demanded.

     "Fine. But you can't be threatening me, not with the team, or with anything, or I'll blow the whole thing." Shea countered, and Asher's face burned red with fury at Shea's ulterior motive. 

     "Fine." Asher relented, but Shea stuck out his hand.

     "Truce?" Shea asked, and Asher eyed his hand for a moment. He considered telling Shea to go to hell, but as much as Asher hated not being in control, he needed all the help he could get.

     "Truce." Asher was always in control. He always had the upper hand, and having to take orders from Shea, made him a little queasy. True, he'd liked Shea to begin with, but having to share Simon with the other boy, was something he didn't like the idea of. Asher was also used to being coddled. He rarely saw his parents, and due to the school's focus on the athletic program, he rarely ever had to deal with the repercussions of his reckless actions.