23: Restless

Beethoven, again.

        Guinevere stilled in bed, facing the ceiling, as a shiver tore through her spine and numbed her hands

Guinevere stilled in bed, facing the ceiling, as a shiver tore through her spine and numbed her hands. Even with the warming charm added on the quilt wrapped around her, the January air hit her harshly. Propping up with the help of her elbows, she reached for her wand that sat on the nightstand, pushing the window closed.

Lost in her thoughts, Guinevere went back to staring at the ceiling as soon as she put back her wand. The room was warm now. Warm enough for her to fall in a good night's sleep, convinced that the reason for her insomnia was the room's temperature. After minutes spent tossing and turning in her bed, she sighed.

Perhaps seeing her mother wasn't as easy as she thought it'd be.

Seeing as she wasn't going to fall asleep anytime soon, she decided to do something else instead. Groaning as she sat up, Guinevere rubbed her tired eyes and slowly trudged out her room.

The house was quiet, the silence almost deafening. Sirius was asleep a few rooms away, and Remus was probably resting too.

The witch wasn't quite sure on what she should do, but eventually made her way downstairs; Perhaps she'll just read a book.

The house was dark and cold, giving Guinevere chills as she walked down the stairs gingerly. The place was frightening at night, and the shadows seemed to be alive. She felt like she was being watched by unseen eyes.

"Lumos," Guinevere whispered, as she reached the floor below, illuminating her path.

She was about to make her way to the sitting room, but she caught sight of a familiar elegant door, and she felt herself drawing closer to it.

Guinevere pushed the door open, taking in the beauty of the ballroom bathed in moonlight. She walked inside, heart heavy with hidden emotions as she drew closer to the piano.

She remembered Grace patiently teaching her how to play, singing along softly while guiding her fingers. Guinevere felt a lump growing in her throat as she sat down, hands ghosting over the keys. She could almost hear her sister's voice as she replayed the memories in her mind.

Guinevere needed a way to let her emotions out without actually saying it out loud. Heavens know how much she wanted to let everything out, but can't seem to actually do it.

Guinevere took a deep breath, then closed her eyes briefly before opening them again.

And with that, she began to play.

Remus crept downstairs, not wanting to disturb anyone, a book on one hand and a wand on the other. Looking over to the book on his hand, he smiled to himself. It would seem that he'd never get tired of reading The Great Gatsby.

Sitting down on the most comfortable armchair in the sitting room, he flipped the book open, trying to find where he last stopped.

He didn't often take nightly trips to the living room just to read a book Fitzgerald wrote. It was just one of those nights where his body refused to sleep. In fact he found it quite funny, it was nearing the full moon but it seemed he could go on another day with little to no sleep.