Chapter 42: Dinner, a dance and...a date?!

"Jess!" called my mother from upstairs. "Can you come up here for a minute?"

I sighed, looking mournfully at the TV for a second before pressing 'pause' and sliding lazily off the sofa. We only had a couple of days left of half term, and I had been planning to spend them lazing around watching TV before I got back to hours and hours of solid studying.

Rubbing my head and yawning, I plodded up the stairs and glanced into my parents' room, then my brother's, then my sister's until I got to mine, where my mother was standing with her back to the door. I hesitantly stepped inside as I realised she was looking at something in her hands, and so walked around her until I could see what it was.

Mum looked up at me and smiled knowingly, before presenting the object in her hands, and I froze, before gritting my teeth. It was my sketchpad, and she had opened it to the page where I had drawn Zack and Spencer. I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"What, you dragged me away from my precious Doctor Who to show me my sketchpad?" I asked, feigning ignorance. Mum rolled her eyes, clearly not buying it.

"No, I dragged you away from your precious Doctor Who to ask you why you have drawn two handsome boys, one of whom lives across the road and is consequently half naked," she said in a matter-of-fact tone. I grimaced at her bluntness and sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"...I don't know..." I said in a weary voice. "I honestly don't know. It's all a mess at the moment," I said, closing my eyes as I thought of this 'mess'.

The guy I had hated for six years had lied to me for no reason and forced me to split up with my boyfriend, who I had deep feelings for. Then he goes and apologizes and we become friends, but sometimes the way I act around him is very different to the way I act around Forest, or Martin, or Chris, or Max, my other guy friends. And I'm also terrified on what Zack will say to me if I call him; whether he'll be angry, upset, whether he'll even speak to me at all.

Yep, it was a mess.

I sighed and opened my eyes again, to see my mother place the sketchpad back on my desk. She then embraced me in a warm, motherly hug, which for a few moments washed all these worries away. However, when she released me again, I once again felt confused and totally out of my depth. Damn 'high-school drama'...

"I understand, honey," she said sympathetically, smiling at me knowingly. "It's difficult being a girl at your age," I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for the help mum," I said sarcastically, "but that was a tiny bit obvious," She smiled and shook her head, patting me on the shoulder before going to leave the room.

"Remember, Jess, if you need anyone to talk to..." she trailed, and I sighed inaudibly. The only person I need to talk to right now, I reflected gloomily while descending the stairs to resume watching Doctor Who, is Zack...

I slumped down onto the sofa again and was just about to click play before my mother's voice emanated from the kitchen.

"Oh, kids, I have to tell you something..." I sighed, my finger hovering above the 'play' button as I waited for my siblings to come downstairs. "We're going out to dinner tonight with the Richmonds, to celebrate mine and your father's engagement,"

I grimaced slightly before pressing the play button, because dinner meant a dress...

**

Red dress, blue dress, black dress....how the hell was I supposed to know? I need Steph, I thought glumly as I stared at myself in the mirror. I was standing in my underwear holding three different dresses to my body in turn, wondering which one I should wear. The red and blue ones were borrowed from my mother, as I didn't own many dresses.