Chapter 35: Relationship

And heeeeere's the other one!! You better love me, 'cause it's extra long! Onwards!!

{~Spencer POV~}

I was bored on Saturday morning, as Jared was in town with Steph, and I couldn't be bothered to play a game of football, so I didn't get the guys. Instead I decided to swim for the morning, as I hadn't done that in a while. My mind would not give Jess a break, so I figured going to the pool wouldn't trigger any unwanted thoughts anyway.

As I swam, I considered what Nina had said on Thursday. She had noticed I wasn't acting my old self - as had Steph - so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed. My main concern was Jamie - what would she do to Jess if she found out I liked her?

Trying not to worry too much, I put a little bit more strain into my swimming and began doing different strokes on the lengths. It helped take my mind off things, too, because I was concentrating on what strokes I did in what order, rather than thinking about Jess and Jamie.

After a couple of hours, I got bored of swimming, despite my attempts to liven it up a bit, and got out of the pool. I dried myself off, showered, changed, and went back to my dorm, ready to go to lunch afterwards. I hung my swimming shorts and towel up to dry and then went downstairs, and outside.

I spotted the guys playing football on the field and was going to go and watch when I spotted a very familiar and an unfamiliar face walking across the grounds by the sports block. I would recognize her auburn hair and tall figure from a mile away, but I had no idea who the guy was that was walking with Jess.

Deciding to check it out, I avoided the football pitch so the guys didn't see me and focused on the pair. Jess seemed to be giving the guy a tour - he was evidently new. She was explaining where all the equipment was for the tennis/badminton courts, but as they were on their way out she mentioned that the tour was over. The guy started talking about his old school, and how different it was, and they seemed to be getting along just peachy.

I gritted my teeth angrily. She was so busy chatting with the new guy that she didn't even notice me. Wait, why did I want her to notice me anyway. I couldn't like her. I had to remember that, I thought as I watched them walk towards the lunch hall after the bell went. Yeah, easier said than done...

I wandered back over to the football pitch, trying to calm my anger down, and pretended to have only just seen the guys. We went up to lunch together, me sort of zoning out in my thoughts of Jess and that guy. Who was he? Did Jess like him? Why did I care?

We entered the dining hall and I looked around the hall for Jess and her friends, not really paying attention to what I was doing. I had to see if he was there, in case they got any closer. No, Spencer, no! You're not supposed to be thinking about her!! And what does it matter if they get any closer? It's not like you're going to end up going out anyway...

This didn't stop my search of the hall, however, and I spotted her talking with her friends...and him. I forced myself to look away and tried to focus on the guys' conversation, but it was very difficult as Jess was a big distraction. Man, I was so whipped.

We sat down at our table, which was conveniently at the other side of the hall to Jess and her new friend. I sat with my back to them so hopefully I would forget about them, but it was proving difficult. I tried my absolute hardest to keep in track of the conversation and involve myself in it.

I managed to eat my lunch without ripping his head off, then I was planning on joining the guys in another football match to hopefully take my mind off Jess, but as we walked across the football field, I spotted their group on a big grass area. He and Jess were talking, and as I ditched the group I found out she was explaining the rules to some game.