Chapter 8: Back to School

**

January 5

**

I dumped my suitcase on the floor in the hall and grabbed my white hoodie with Too Cool for School printed on it. I pulled the hoodie on and surveyed my reflection in the mirror. White hoodie, black skinny jeans, red top and black and white chequered converse with red laces. Then I pulled my hair up into a high ponytail with my auburn bangs hanging down the side of my face. Satisfied, I prodded Danny who was sprawled on the couch. He was taking me to the train station on the way to his university. He turned the TV off and stood up, pulling his own trainers on.  

We said goodbye to dad, who was getting ready for work, and Amy, who was getting ready for school, and then left. As I opened the passenger door, I saw Spencer and his brother pile into the latter's car. 

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I made good friends with Eddie, Spencer's brother. Turns out we go to the same uni without knowing it,"  

"Mm hmm." I replied. I didn't really care about Danny's social life to be honest.  

We followed the Richmonds to the train station, where we would catch a train to London and then we'd walk to school along with everyone else. Anyone who missed the train either had to go their own way or miss a term.  

I got out of the car, grabbed my large suitcase and hugged my brother goodbye. He waved me off until I arrive at the platform, and then I saw a familiar, annoying blonde head. I instantly went in the other direction, hoping he wouldn't notice me.  

Unfortunately he did. 

"Hey, Jess! Jess!" groaning internally I turned around. 

"What?" I replied rudely.  

"I could think of a better reward for not telling the school," he said, smiling mischievously. I glared at him and gave him the finger surreptitiously. He noticed, and I think the old lady standing near me noticed as well, because she gave me the evils. "Now that's not nice, Jess." I shrugged and kept walking, hoping that when the train came I would lose him.

**

5 minutes later

**

Unfortunately, I didn't. The train came at around 8:45am. And Spencer followed me onto it. Scowling as we sat down, I glared at him then stared out the window, listening to my iPod and letting him know I didn't want to hear anything from him. I don't think he got the hint, or if he did, he chose to ignore it. I go with option 2.  

"So," he said, shifting a little closer to me. I ignored him. He frowned for a second then sat literally right next to me, so our legs were touching. OK eww...that really sounded better in my head. 

"Hello?" I continued to listen to Shout by Dizzy Rascal (AN 1 sorry if I spelt his name wrong and AN 2 freakin' awesome song!) He grimaced and stood up as a random food trolley came along. I couldn't help but sing as the chorus came on. 

Shout! Shout! Let it all out!! These are the things I could do without, so come on!! I'm talkin' to you, come on!! 

Only when I noticed Spencer looking at me funny did I realize I had been singing. I pressed pause and took my earphones out for a minute. 

"What? I can't sing?" I asked, feeling slightly self conscious.  

"No! I mean yes! I mean - Argh!"  

"Argh?"  

"Yes, you can sing," he said, looking down slightly. I raised an eyebrow suspiciously, then pressed play and continued listening.