Chapter 28: a close call

{~Nina POV~} (for once)

I was worried about Jess. Very worried. We were best friends, and we both knew Spencer quite well, and had hated him beyond belief in the last six years...why was she suddenly obsessed with bringing him over from the 'dark side'?

I think Steph was worried too. We knew she was stubborn, and that she wouldn't sleep with him in a million years, but something told us that this wasn't a good idea, that she shouldn't try to make him nice.

Steph and I were quietly discussing it in their room while she took a shower, the day after she broke the news that he had stopped pestering her. There was suddenly a knock on the door, and Steph went to answer it. Jared walked in with a slightly sheepish expression, and I was about to make myself scarce when he said,

"I thought you two should know...Spencer likes Jess," he said. We both stared at him. Then at each other. Then back at him.

"You WHAT?"

"You're JOKING??!!" he grimaced and shook his head.

"He refuses to admit it, not after what happened with Jamie, but I can so tell he does. He doesn't want to, but he does. So Jess had better not do anything stupid if she wants to keep that reputation of hers, because we all know what Spencer's like..."

I met Steph's eyes, and then she looked at him.

"Explain," she said, frowning. He explained that they'd had a conversation yesterday in which he had hinted at the fact that he might like Jess and Jared had tried to make him have an open mind about it all, but he had adamantly refused that he liked her.

I looked back at Steph, and her concerned expression mirrored my own. Now we both knew that we had to try and talk her out of her 'plan' at all costs, but I tell you, it wasn't going to be easy.

{~Jess POV~}

I walked out of the bathroom fully dressed to see Nina in our room and them both discussing something, which they quickly stopped when I walked in. I raised an eyebrow.

"Anything I should know?" I enquired, running a brush through my damp hair.

"Nothing exciting," replied Nina, with a facial expression and voice that emphasized her words. I took her word for it and tied my hair up in a ponytail, not really caring what I looked like as I would probably be spending the whole day in one of our rooms doing homework together.

We were walking along the corridor to Lucy's room when I saw Spencer for the first time in a while - he was putting up a poster. I decided not to draw attention to myself as I didn't want him to say anything, so I waited until he had gone before going to see what he had put up. I rolled my eyes - another party. I would be careful not to get drunk; I was sure Jamie would think of a revenge that was slightly more original than the previous one if I did get drunk.

However, Steph said,

"Hey, maybe we shouldn't go to this one. Who knows, Jamie might think of something,"

"I just won't get drunk," I said matter-of-factly, leaning against the wall. "And you better not either, it was partly your comeback." I saw Nina and Steph exchange a significant glance, but didn't pick up on it, deciding I would if their suspicious behaviour continued.

We got to Lucy and Michelle's room and mentioned the party. They were both on my side, meaning we would probably be going.

"So," said Michelle in a heavy voice, looking glumly at her homework list. "Let's get started,"

**

Homework took more time than I anticipated, and wanted, so by the time Steph and I got back to our dorm it was 5 o'clock. The party started at 8, so we crashed for a while and played a few games before starting to get ready at half seven.