Chapter 12: Spencer's secret

I was put in another extra detention for skipping Mr. Jones's 'talk'. Who cares, right? I scored a point above Spencer. He was literally speechless after I had that rant at him.

"I wish I'd seen his face!" exclaimed Michelle at lunch on Tuesday. "He must've been like 'whoa' and 'holy shit' and..." I didn't listen. I was too busy thinking what had occurred just before I shouted at him. I'd let my guard down. He let me think he was innocent. And for that, I hated him. I refused to have feelings other than hatred for him. And for that, I forced myself to think about something other than his pleading brown eyes.

{~Spencer POV~}

I don't think there's a curse strong enough for how I felt about her 'ingenious plan'. How could she do this? She didn't even know why I hated Jamie so much! And that's a good thing, too. I don't want everyone knowing that I've been - never mind.

But still...I came so close. So close to winning her over - in fact, I think I did until she blew up on me about being an arrogant jerk, etc, etc. She's so damn infuriating! But, now I had a plan. Now I knew exactly what to do to get her.

{~Jess POV~}

There was one lesson, one annoyingly infuriatingly moronic lesson, in which I sat next to Spencer. Believe me, I was not looking forward to it. It didn't help that it was last lesson, ruining the fairly good mood I had worked up through the rest of the day.

We'd told as many people as possible about his little scene at Christmas. A lot of senior sixth form knew by now, and I'd seen then sniggering at him in the corridors. Take that, bastard.

I sat down in History, in the lowest form of depression. The seat to my left was still vacant, which I was grateful for. The less time next to Spencer, the more freedom. And the worst thing was, I also shared this class with the two bitches (Vanessa and Jamie) who sat in the row next to me. Forest was the only friend I shared the class with, but he was in the right corner at the back, while we were in the left corner at the front, nearest the door. I heard a familiar high pitched clingy voice, belonging to the one and only Vanessa.

"So, Spencer, am I coming into your room tonight?" she asked, a little loudly. I felt like throwing up - who boasts about sleeping with Spencer? But before the devil could speak, I heard a less familiar female voice cut through.

"I wouldn't, V. Didn't you hear about what happened at Christmas?" there was silence for a minute. Then:

"No..."

"Apparently, he was almost crying because of her," I smirked victoriously. The whole class had been silent, listening, and the majority didn't know about his breakdown.

"Who?" asked Vanessa. I heard a pair of high heels take a step, possibly turning round (I couldn't see) and then:

"You." Said Vanessa, shortly and icily. Everybody was whispering at each other in the class. Probably asking 'Who? Who?' I smirked and said, very clearly so that the class and the people outside could hear, "Jamie." Dead silence. From outside and in. Everybody was shocked that I of all people knew that Spencer Richmond had nearly cried over a girl. If you're wondering why that's such a shock, do you really think Spencer would let his next one night stand know he was capable of something other than a good night? Especially something like that? Then I heard an infuriated shriek, a slapping sound and a pair of heels storm off. There was another silence, and then slow, heavy footsteps walking the other way. I guessed they belonged to Spencer. Which left Jamie still standing. Then I heard her running in the same direction as Spencer.

Ha. Take that, Richmond.

{~Spencer POV~}

I stormed into the guy's bathroom and stood over the sink, glaring at my reflection in the mirror. I saw nothing but pain, loss and anger, especially anger. I heard the door swing open and shut again, and I saw Jamie's reflection in the mirror.