Chapter 9

"What! That's not possible! No one can possess that kind of power! It's just not possible!" Zerek exclaimed. His eyes glittered with excitement than anger. "Okay, okay, what am I thinking now?"

I narrowed my eyes and looked right at Zerek's forehead. Nothing. Can see nothing. Can hear nothing.

"Maybe it's like some one-time thing or something. Maybe my special power might not even be mind reading!" I shrugged, but Zerek just shook his head.

"What you need is practice. You're new, so everything will be a one-time thing." I shivered but not because of the cold. This witchy business is still kind of mind blowing. Thinking back to all of the training that I have read about, my fingers started twitching with excitement. What type of training would we do? Would we be fighting with weapons? Or is it hand to hand combat?

As if he's the one who can read minds he said, "We are not doing hand-to-hand combat. We are witches and warlocks. Not dhampirs!" he covered his mouth with his hands and mine gaped open.

Oh my God! I never thought Zerek Ross would've read Vampire Academy! Holy crapezoiya!

"You've read Vampire Academy!" I covered my mouth with my hands, when he looked away, a blush forming on his cheeks.

"Let's just meet each other in the park, okay?" I chuckled.

"I give up!" I think I said that for the hundredth time. We were working on lifting a rock using the earth element. I failed at lighting a branch on fire; failed at forming water droplets out of a cup of water; even failed at making a leaf float in air! I just give up!

"Your powers activate with your emotions. You should know that since like you watch and read so many things!" I shrugged. There just books. Stories. Fantasies. Not real life. Zerek pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. He was very frustrated.

I sighed, "let me try once more." I stared at the rock, then closed my eyes. I cleared my head like Zerek told me to do for like a million times. I raised my hand to where I think the rock was. Breathing out, I imagined a well of power in the pit of my stomach and focused on that. Imagined the power flowing up from my stomach and to the tip of my fingers. I spread my fingers out and lifted my hand.

I opened my eyes when I hear clapping and a frustrated 'finally!' And there it was. My arm was still outstretched, and the boulder was now on air. Not on some invisible stool. It was on air! My lips curved into a huge smile. I did it! I really truly lifted a hundred-kilogram boulder! Dropping the boulder with a loud thud, I did my victory dance. Then started jumping yelling, "I did it! I did it!"

I fell to the ground with a happy sigh and looked at the sky. Zerek came over and loomed over me and smiled sweetly.

"That's one element." My smile dropped and I groaned. I can't believe I was so happy, and he just have to ruin it for me. I punched the ground before standing and focusing on the branch Zerek gave me. I closed my eyes an went through the same process, imagining the well and brought forth to the tips of my fingers. When I opened my eyes, there was nothing on the branch. Not even a spark.

"I hate these one-time things." I murmured.

"Fire is a mean element. Not calm at all. Try focusing on anger and pain, than silence." Zerek instructed. Nodding, I closed my eyes again. This time focusing on the physical pain at the time of the robbery. Thought of the mental pain when my mother didn't even care for weather I was hurt or not. And finally, the anger of never knowing who I actually was. When I opened my eyes, my vision was hazy. But I could see a red-ish orange waving thing. And I smiled but with the realization of so much pain, I couldn't even lift the corners of my mouth. And suddenly, I was enveloped in strong arms. I dropped the fireless stick and hugged Zerek. I cried into his chest and he just stayed there. By my side. As usual.