Chapter 20

I sighed, as a soft warm wind blew at my maroon curls. My eyes automatically adjusted to the light as I looked around the place, taking in the beauty every time I come. There was a chuckle to my left and I completely forgot that Christian was there at all.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing" was all he said. I let out a long breath and turn to look behind me. The gate had been shut, but I sort of wished it hadn't. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on him. I mean he can't control my feeling when he's this far right? I shook my head and started walking forward. Then stopped because I don't know where I'm actually going. I turned to ask Christian where he was going to take me, when an idea seized my mind.

"Um... do you know where the closest village is? I'm dying to know if there is something more than this forest and my aunt's castle." I couldn't tell him that I was planning on finding my mother as I still can't trust him. Like, I barely know the dude. He thought about it for a second and then nodded.

"Yes, I do know where the closest village is." I waited for him to go on and when he didn't, I gestured for him to keep going. "I'll show you the directions if I come with you." He smirked.

"Uh, why should you come?" I really did not want him to come to my mission to find my mum. For some weird reason, he's got that do not trust me air around, even if he doesn't know it.

"Because, who's gonna catch you when you get that headache again?" he shrugged. I was about to say Zerek, then stopped myself. He isn't here. He cannot come here. He cannot save me. So, sadly, Christian has a point. I was this close to saying that he could come when I realize there's still one more person.

"What about Keiko?" I asked.

"Who?"

"You know, the female knight in your squad?" I stared as recognition flared across his face.

"Oh, her! Nah, she won't even be able to hold you, let alone lift you up." Again, he had a point. I groaned. I really didn't want him to come. I tried to think of something else that could prevent him from coming, but nothing came to my stupid brain.

"Okay fine! You win!" I huffed and marched on ahead when an amazing idea seized me. I realized I still need to practise spells to get better. Last time, I dropped the bag and probably left it in the palace garden or something. I can go retrieve it and... check on my aunt as well. I turn around to see Christian staring at me with a strange gleam in his eyes that sent chills down my back. But as quickly as the click of my fingers, it was gone. So quick I thought I'd imagined it. I shook my head and put that in my "prod later box" in my mind.

"Change of plans. The palace is a short distance ain't it? I might as well visit the queen and gather some materials." Yes, I still have a hard time believing that she's my aunt and all but what trumps that is the fact that my mother is alive. I do sort of see a bit of me in her. But it's just a really, really small part of it. Disappointment rolled off his face, but he did well to hide it.

"Of course, as long as I can keep you company." He winked and started walking beside me. We trudge through the woods in silence as the soft crunch of the leaves under our feet and the beautiful hum of the birds are the only sound. I thought back to the argument with Zerek and suddenly felt like I have maybe over-reacted just a bit...okay, maybe a lot. In my defence though, he did play with my emotions then, but I guess he can't really make me fall for him. I groaned. I hate it that I'm the one in fault here. Gah!

Christian looked at me. "What's wrong?" he asked, but there was nothing on his face but boredom. Like he was forced to ask me or something. I just frowned and shook my head. He just nodded and didn't say anything else. A strange chill rolled off of him as we walked and I couldn't help but shiver, even in the heat. My gut tells me to get away from him, but I couldn't find any way to escape. So, I continued to suffer through until we finally reached the palace's gates and saw a familiar figure entering the threshold.