6 <3

Previously

"Why don't you like being flattered though?" I ask.

I immediately regret my question as Zaylani's sheepish smile disappeared.

"Oh I'm sor-" I start.

"It's fine. I've just been hurt a lot is all." She responds, void of emotion, looking out at the lake.

"What hap-"

"Nique can we please not talk about this." Zaylani says in a cold tone, cutting me off.

"Damn okay I'm sorry ma. Ian mean to bring back any bad memories or anything.." I say and she slouches a bit with a sigh.

"No wait, I'm sorry. It's just still a sensitive topic for me. But I'll tell you because I trust you." She says.

"No need to apologize, I understand. And you sure? You don't have to." I say, reassuring her.

"Yes I'm sure. I want to." Zaylani answers.

"I'm all ears." I say.

Zaylani's POV
I took a deep breath and got ready for the emotional roller coaster I was about to take myself on. I've never told anybody any of this so I'm hella nervous about opening up. The only person that knows this is Kierra. What if I push Nique away?

All this was racing through my mind when Nique said,

"You really don't have to tell me Zaylani..we supposed to be having a good time..ion want you reminiscing on past hurt."

"I know it's a lot for a first date but I want you to know what you're getting into before things get serious." I replied.

"I understand that but I really don't want you ups-"
"Just let me okay? I want you to know." I insisted.
"Fine..go ahead..and take your time." She replied, hesitantly.

"Okay well, I've been in a few lil..entanglements if you wanna call it that, but nothing really serious until this one girl. Her name was Taniah. She was a stud and my first love. We were together for about 3 years."

"Damn, what happened?" Nique asked.

"Well, things were amazing for the first year. Little to no arguments, constant dates & random deep conversations yk, that fairytale type of love." I replied and she smiled at my last comment.

"A year tho? Y'all were together for 3 years if it wasn't going well then why not just leave?" Nique inquired. She made it sound so easy.

Little does she know.

I ignored her question. She'll figure that out later.

"She went on a trip with family for about a month and shit was never the same after she got on that flight. We texted every day for like a week & change, then she stopped replying. Our texting became like a once every couple of days thing, & even those conversations were dry. I asked her what was going on & if everything was okay constantly, but she would always say everything was fine. Of course I was down here stressing about it because I couldn't see her in person to figure anything out, but forward to after that trip."

"Mm..I dislike her already." Nique said.

"Rightfully so." I agreed and continued on with my story.