16 <3

Previously
We looked at each other for a while.

"You have a really beautiful smile" Zaylani said at the same time that I said, "Your smile is f'real so gorgeous."

We looked at each other sheepishly before saying "Thank you," again in unison.

The way this girl makes my heart flutter is terrifying.

Zaylani's POV

Me and Nique spoke about a bunch of random shit while we waited for our food to arrive. The way she makes me feel is exhilarating. We have so much in common yet we're so different from each other. I don't know how or why she's even still messing with me. This has to be too good to be true.

"Hey, Nique?" I call and she looks at me.

"Why didn't you leave me be once I told you about my past?" I ask.

Nique furrowed her brows as a confused look develops on her face.

I sighed.

This is probably where I fuck things up.

"What?" She questions.

"What do you mean what? It's a simple question." I respond and she leans back in her chair.

"..Well you didn't give me a reason to leave you alone. You asked me that as if you did something terrible in your past." She says, speaking as if walking on eggshells.

"Yeah, but most people would leave after finding out something like that." I say.

Nique seemed to be getting irritated. Not at me specifically, but at what I said.

"Yeah well most people are fucking stupid Zaylani. You were abused and you're still healing. You have yet to give me a reason to leave so I haven't, like I just said." She responds.

I can tell she's confused at the sudden inquiry.

"And what if I do?" I ask quietly.

Nique tilts her head with a confused expression on her face.

"What if you do what?" She asks.

I stare at my lap.

"What if I do give you a reason to leave?" I mumble.

She was silent for a bit so I look up from my lap hesitantly.

She's looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Why are you looking at me like something's wrong with me? I just asked a question." I pressed on.

"Zaylani, what are you trying to get at? I don't understand..everything was fine a minute ago.." Nique trails off.

I hear a slight panic in her voice, and I see it on her face too.

I feel so bad, why am I doing this?

I sigh and bury my face in my hands.

"Fuck, I'm sorry. I always do this. I always find a way to fuck things up when I think something is too good to be true." I say.

Nique removes my hands from my face & takes them into her own, rubbing them with her thumbs, sending butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"I'm not going anywhere ma. You've been through some shit and you're still healing from it. I'm not gonna let you do this shit alone." She says gently.

She stared into my eyes as she spoke, letting me know she means every word she said.

I smile a little.