Chapter 19: can i please sleep

{A/N: this chapter is more of a filler chapter. So don't expect much service}

Shinobu was restless that night. She did escape Mitsuri's prying, however, it was her mind that hasn't been helping her sleep. She doesn't understand. Shinobu was sure she was dragging herself back to her room for a good night's sleep; eyes heavy and body limping from all the walks they've done earlier that day. So, why? Why can't she sleep? She doesn't understand—or that's what she has been telling herself.

Tomioka

She knows. She knows why she can't have her well-deserved rest. Her thoughts were plagued by a certain blue-haired, emotionally deprived, annoying man. But she keeps on denying that he is the reason she can't sleep. That would be weird—at least for her, that the man she deemed hard to get along with is flooding her mind. To add salt to the wound, her heart is making unnecessary jumps, and her blood rushing to her face whenever Tomioka's face appears in her thoughts.

Very unnecessary, she thought to herself.

Burying her face on the pillow and release a scream muffled by her pillow to lessen the stress she put herself into, "Fuck."

Her toss and turning continued for a minute or so before she gave up, "That's it!" she hissed to herself, "I've had enough. Shinobu-fucking-Kocho, get yourself together." With an exhausted sigh, she got up and decided to get herself a tea to help her relax and hopefully, make her sleep.

12:45 A.M.

The clock reads. She was hoping everyone is asleep by that time as she doesn't want anyone to see how miserable she is right now.

Grumbling, Shinobu dragged herself into the kitchen. She was mindlessly preparing her tea as her mind drifted back to her main problem—Tomioka.

Can that man get more annoying? I can't believe I'm letting him plague my mind his dumbness.

"Shinobu-chan?"

Shinobu almost drops the glass with Mitsuri's voice. Too concentrated on her thoughts she didn't hear Mitsuri's footsteps nearing her.

Unbelievable, Shinobu, she internally face-palmed herself.

"Hey," Shinobu faced Mitsuri, "why are you still awake?"

"I'm watching some series but I heard footsteps so I went to check it out," Mitsuri shrugged.

Shinobu reached for the tea box, "and you decided to check it out with nothing with you?" she asked with a teasing tone, "what a genius you are, miss Kanroji."

"I have the taser with me," Mitsuri waved her hand holding the taser before placing it at the counter. "But don't think you are going to escape me again Miss Kocho," Mitsuri reached for her cup, deciding whatever the reason Shinobu is up late, is something they have to talk about. "Why are you up this late?"

Shinobu sighed, pouring hot water in her cup, "I don't know..." Shinobu's face slowly contorted as she can taste the bitterness of her lie.

Mitsuri noticed Shinobu's conflicted state, "something's bothering you."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Your brows are furrowing, lips frowning," she said while opening the door of their balcony to let fresh air inside, "and you're up this late. The Shinobu I know won't miss the chance to get her 'well-deserved' sleep." Mitsuri took her to sit across Shinobu, "so, whatever it is—it has got to be something big. Spill."

"I... I don't know..."

Mitsuri cocked her eyebrow, picking up the hesitance on Shinobu's tone.

The silence was the reply Shinobu got when she gave in, "Okay," She sighed, "maybe I do know what the problem is—I think. I'm confused. I don't even know how to sort this problem or if I can even sort this out."

Mitsuri hummed before taking a sip on her tea, urging Shinobu to continue, "if I were being honest, this situation of mine started weeks before but it wasn't this insufferable back then," Shinobu release a loud sigh, "it's just that—y'know," Shinobu made weird hand gestures to communicate how frustrated she is with herself right now but none of it made sense to Mitsuri. Shinobu groaned, "fuck," feeling the urge to slam her head on the table, "this confrontation is much easier in my head."

Mitsuri can't help but chuckle at her friend's miserable state which earned a soft glare from Shinobu. "How can I help you if I can't even understand you, Shinobu-chan?"

The purple-haired doctor rubbed her face, frustration getting on her nerves, "I don't know..."

"Okay, let's start again. Do you know what or who caused you this problem?"

"...Yes."

"Who?"

Shinobu mumbled, "An annoying, emotionally deprived man."

Mitsuri quirked an eyebrow, not catching the whole sentence Shinobu said, "What?" Mitsuri caught the word 'emotionally deprived' which gave her a hint who might be Shinobu is talking about but as the mischievous that she is, she can't let the chance to taunt Shinobu slip her hands.

"You know who."

"I don't."

Shinobu glared at her friend, "You do."

Mitsuri didn't back down, a teasing glint present in her eyes, "I don't, Shinobu-chan. I don't know what you're talking about."

"I hate you."

Mitsuri gasp, faking hurt at Shinobu, "You wound me, Shinobu-chan! I'm just a friend trying to help you."

"...Tomioka," Shinobu whispered.

"What did you say?"

"I said, it's the annoying, emotionally deprived man," Shinobu seethes, "Tomioka-fucking-Giyuu."

"See, it's not that hard, isn't it?" Mitsuri patted the shoulder of her miserable friend.

"It's a man. He is a man. My miserable state is because of a fucking man. I can't believe I let this happened!"

"More like you can't believe you fell for him."

"You're not helping," Shinobu groaned.

"Maybe," Mitsuri shrugged, "but I know your problem will be much easier if you were to accept it. Not all at once, of course, but little by little."

"I know, but also I know I'm stubborn so I won't just accept it willingly. This is so frustrating and embarrassing."

"That's why I'm here, your best friend, to help you. Now, tell me everything..."

---

Meanwhile, in the Tomioka Household, a sneeze from the blue-haired, emotionally deprived man filled the silence of the place. Thinking that it was just his system reacting to the specks of dust he inhaled, he continued signing out then filling out his papers for filing his leave for one semester as he wants to focus more on his problem at hand, and the kamado siblings. 

-----

Fun fact: 

-Shinobu is more like trash-talking Tomioka more than explaining how she is feeling for him when she is telling the story to Mitsuri.

-Tomioka never planned to stay but because of Nezuko, he opted to look for the siblings himself, and most importantly, he wants to sort out his problem.

-Tomioka wants a break either way because of his students (i wonder why)