Chapter 20: to be honest

Shinobu barely slept. The bags under her eyes have been darker than before is the living proof.

With a sigh, Shinobu groggily prepares for her very long day. She has a long list of patients to occupy her until afternoon but that is not what she's dreading for the day-- she has to meet up with Kanae.

Apparently, Kanae's persuasion skills are so effective that she made Shinobu agree to meet up with her for a 'sister bonding' but Shinobu knows her sister well. There's more to this sister bonding than what Kanae is letting on.

"Huh, that's weird."

"What is it, Mitsuri?" Shinobu asked as she prepared herself to end her shift.

Her patients were lovely; she loves her job but god was she exhausted, and on top of that, meeting up with Kanae is giving her anxiety. She won't know how to explain herself, or her situation nor relationship with Tomioka--if there were any in the first place.

"Your shift is about to end but I haven't seen Tomioka-san in the lobby yet. Is he not driving you home today?"

Shinobu stopped her actions and looked at Mitsuri questioningly, "Since when did I tell you that Tomioka-san drove me home?"

Slowly, a smug smile formed on Mitsuri's face, "Technically, you haven't. But you just did admit it to me right now, so there's that."

'Mitsuri you sly bi--'

If looks could kill, Mitsuri would be dead by the way Shinobu glared at her. "I always see Tomioka waiting for something--rather, someone in the lobby whenever your shift is about to end."

"It's not what you think it is, Mitsuri." Shinobu continued shoving her things in her bag, "and in my defense, it is Aoi who proposed to Tomioka to drive me home to keep me safe and away from Douma."

"I'm not saying anything," Mitsuri put her hands in defense, "but I gotta say, Aoi is right, Douma is really... something. It's borderline harassment."

"That, he is," Shinobu agreed. "Anyway, I got to go. Nee-chan is probably in the Kamado cafe already."

"Oh, right! Say hi to Kanae-san for me!"

--

The bell on the door of the Kamado Cafe disrupts Kanae from scrolling on her phone.

"Shinobu-chan!" Kanae greeted her little sister with much enthusiasm, lucky for Shinobu, people paid the commotion no mind as they tend to their own businesses.

Kanae stood up to hug her sister, "I missed you so much, Shinobu-chan. Come, take a seat and let's order!"

While waiting for their order, the sisters talked about how their lives went; from their daily shenanigans to patients testing their patience. For a while, Shinobu forgot her anxious thoughts about her meeting with Kanae. It feels like they are just catching up with each other's lives. But that didn't last too long. Once their orders were served, Kanae slowly opened the topic Shinobu is dreading; Tomioka and her relationship with him.

"Shinobu-chan, how are you?" How's your life going?

Shinobu knows where this is going so she decides to play safe. She inhaled deeply, "I'm doing great, nee-chan. Just like what I've said earlier, my job is tiring but I love my job so it's really worth it."

"Of course you love your job but really, how are you?" What's going on with you and the guy?

Kanae pressed further but Shinobu won't take her bait if she can escape it. "I'm fine?" Maybe playing dumb will save her, "I've been busy with my job hat's all."