Chapter 17: i spy a failing spy

“Look! There they are!” Nezuko said in a hushed tone as she clutched on Tomioka’s arm. Currently, they are blending in the crowd as to hide from the two teens. Putting effort into their disguises, they are wearing sunglasses, caps, and hats.

Lucky for them, Kanao slipped some information earlier when Shinobu asked for her agenda today. Right now, they are following Kanao and Tanjirou at the zoo.

“We look—” Tomioka rearranged his cap, “ridiculous.”

“I couldn’t agree more, Tomioka-san. You do look silly right there,” Shinobu stifles a laugh.

“Oh, look, Shinobu-san!” Shinobu’s attention was now on Nezuko who seems to be enjoying herself, “there’s a giraffe over there!”

And there goes their spying. It looks like Nezuko’s attention is divided with the animals around her.

Shinobu could not help but smile at how quirky Nezuko is, “We should also sightsee instead of just following them. It’ll be a great cover if we get caught.”

Tomioka agreed. With that, Nezuko pulled both of them in the direction where Kanao and Tanjirou went but keeping a safe distance between them.

There were a lot of families spending their time at the zoo which was making their ‘spying’ a little harder than they thought. They have been following Kanao and Tanjirou for an hour now and had gone on half of the zoo.

Shinobu was tired. If she knew she’d be spying on her little sister today, she wouldn’t have worn heels.  Nezuko is an energetic girl despite her health issues and she keeps on dragging Shinobu and Tomioka around as if they are not spying on her older brother and Kanao. Shinobu cannot think about how the laidback nature of Tomioka can cope up with Nezuko’s energetic one.

“Come on, Shinobu-san!” Nezuko said as she excitedly pulls Shinobu’s arm and drags her on the nearest animal, “Let’s check that one out.”

Tomioka has been quietly following them behind. He’s admiring how lovely the two most important women in his life having fun together. He can’t help the smile forming in his lips just by thinking the life he would have if only he can man up and ask the butterfly-loving doctor out. If only he can.

Shinobu chuckled, “Alright, let’s check it but slow down, Nezuko. You wouldn’t want to scare them away.”

After a minute or two of checking out the animal, Shinobu excused herself, feeling her feet aching already, “Tomioka-san,” Shinobu tugged Tomioka’s arms, “I’ll be taking a sit over there. I’ll be resting for a bit. Keep an eye on Nezuko and our two lovely birds,” Shinobu winked at him as she let go of his arms.

There was already an old lady sitting on the bench where she is going to rest. Shinobu gave her a smile, an acknowledgment before she sits.

Shinobu stared was staring at Nezuko and Tomioka as she relaxes. Nezuko is talking to him and pointing at the animals, meanwhile, Tomioka is looking lovingly at his precious daughter, and nodding once a while, as if agreeing to what she is saying.
She had these thoughts for a hundred times already but she can’t help but feel soft at how Tomioka cared for those children. His children.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the lady beside her spoke, “A lovely day isn’t it?”

Shinobu hummed in agreement, “It really is, Ma’am,” she gave a smile.
“You age beautifully when you are being cared for don’t you think?”

Shinobu agreed; thinking that the lady was pertaining to herself, “I think so too, Ma’am. I can see it in you.”

The lady chuckled, “Oh, honey, I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about you. But thank you for the compliment.”