Chapter 18: get your head in the game

When they were already done with the zoo tour, it was already dark. Nezuko was happy the whole afternoon but once they were outside the zoo, the thought that they lost her brother earlier because she’s too preoccupied. Shinobu noticed the shift in Nezuko’s mood.

“Is there something wrong, Nezuko?”

Nezuko sighed, “If I wasn’t too distracted earlier then I wouldn’t lose Onii-chan.”

To lighten up Nezuko’s mood, Tomioka offered her one of her favorites, “Nezuko, let’s go grab some ice cream. Will that make you feel less sad?”

At the offer, Nezuko’s face lit up.

Shinobu cuts in, “How about we take an early dinner then we’ll have ice cream later. Sounds good?”

“I like that better! I’m also starving.” 

“Then let’s head to the mall,” urged Tomioka.

--

“I go get our orders, go find seats for us,” with that, Tomioka went to the counter.

Once seated, Shinobu and Nezuko were engulfed with comfortable silence. It was only broken when Nezuko talked.

“Shinobu-san, I’m sorry about what I said earlier. I realized I may have made you uncomfortable,” Nezuko said shyly.

“Eh?” was all Shinobu said in confusion.

“Earlier, I said that I won’t mind you being my mother… I may have… made you uncomfortable… I’m sorry!”

“Ara-ara~, don’t worry about it much, Nezuko.”

“But,” Nezuko holds Shinobu’s hands that are resting on the table and clasps it in between her own hands, “I'm serious with what I said earlier, Shinobu-san. I would really love it if you will end up with Giyuu-san,” Nezuko said with so much determination that it surprised Shinobu.

“Thank you for that Nezuko, but there’s nothing going on between me and Tomioka-san,” 

“Eh? Are you sure, Shinobu-san? It’s okay! You can tell me. I promise I won’t tell anyone!” Nezuko said while crossing her fingers.

“Ne-Nezuko…” Shinobu sweatdropped at Nezuko’s insistence, “There’s really nothing going on between us.”

“Bummer," Nezuko sighed in disappointment, “I really thought there’s something going on between the two of you…” Nezuko pouted.

“Tomioka-san is a really great man and I can see that but… I don’t think he would want me in that way…”

“Nonsense, Shinobu-san! We can see how he looks at you and believe me when I say we have never seen him that happy when he’s with you.”

We?”

Nezuko nodded, “I and Onii-chan can see how happy he is when he’s with you.”

“Oh,” Shinobu was amused. She never thought that the siblings will take notice.

With their topic, Shinobu knows anytime soon Nezuko might ask her the question she had been avoiding.

"Do you like Giyuu-san?" 

And that’s the time Nezuko dropped the bomb on her.

Shinobu was anything but surprised. She can’t blame the girl. With the amount of time she spent with Tomioka, any bystanders would think they are a couple. To make that statement stronger, there are already four people who thought he was her husband.