Chapter 6: supermarket shenanigans

Tomioka waited for Shinobu in the lobby. As usual, the nurses that ogled at him like the first time he came to the hospital. He earned some glances and murmurs with giggles from the nurses.

He noticed another man scrolling on his phone was sitting at the other end of the bench he was sitting on. Tomioka remembered how Aoi described the man named Douma and how it matched the man on the other side.

That must me Douma. He must be waiting for Kocho. The thought made Tomioka’s heart drop. I can’t let that man harass Kocho.

While waiting, Tomioka is formulating a plan to keep Douma away from Shinobu. His thoughts were interrupted when a nurse approached him. “Hi, mister,” the nurse greeted him, “Are you waiting for someone? Do you need something, perhaps, a coffee?” the nurse said while twirling some strands of her hair.

Tomioka stood up before answering her, “I’m waiting for Kocho.”

His answer earned some gasps from the nurses behind the nurse in front of him. He was about to walk away not wanting Shinobu seeing him in a situation like this but before he could even make a move, the loud voice of Douma caught his attention.

“SHINOBU-CHAAAAN~”

Douma had run up to Shinobu in an attempt to hug her but Shinobu dodged it. “Douma-san, this is a hospital. Keep your voice low, you might be disturbing some patient.”

Apparently, Shinobu had been there for quite some time and saw how the nurse hit up on Tomioka. Watching them feels like someone tugged her heart, and it didn’t help when the nurse flirted with Tomioka, it only made her more irritated. She didn’t even notice that Douma was there as she watches the two converses. The only time he noticed Douma was when he shouted her name not catching only her attention, but also everyone in the lobby.

After dodging, Shinobu gracefully walked to Tomioka, not minding the nurse in front of him, “I’m sorry for the delay, Tomioka-san. Are we good to—”

“Shinobu-chan~! I’m here to walk you home!” Douma said cheerfully and grabbed Shinobu’s right hand, almost yanking Shinobu to make her turn to him. On reflex, Tomioka holds Shinobu’s waist to keep her from falling and pulled her back to him. “Let’s go, Kocho,”  Tomioka said to further prevent Douma to harass Shinobu.

Without waiting for her reply as Shinobu seemed to be still fazed as to what happened, they started walking leaving a confused Douma behind and a bunch of squealing nurses. Tomioka gave Douma one last glare before exiting the hospital.

--

Tomioka opened the door of his car for Shinobu.

“Ara~? You’re being an extra gentleman today, Tomioka-san.” Shinobu teased.

“Get in, Kocho.”

“Alright, alright. Don’t need to get grumpy.”

Once they were settled, Tomioka started to drive. Shinobu requested Tomioka to stop by at the mall as she needs to buy some groceries. It was a silent but comfortable ride.

“Tomioka-san, can you please get these for me?” Shinobu gave Tomioka a list, “I’ll just be on spice section.”

Shinobu was taking her time strolling with her cart in the supermarket. Once she got on the spices’ aisle, she took her time to gather the goods she needs.

The last spice she needed were located on the top shelf. Shinobu looked around to see if there’s a salesperson to help her but alas, she was alone on that aisle. Having no choice, she tiptoed to reach the item that she needs. She tried many times already but is always failing. Shinobu let out a huff as her current state is making her blood boil.