NIGHTMARES COME TO LIFE

Type squinted his eyes as he came out into the scorching Bangkok heat. He took his lunch over to a table in the courtyard of the community hospital he volunteered in. He sat down gingerly, but his head still hurt with the impact of him sitting down. He should have taken a few more days to rest from his accident, but he couldn't stand being in his empty apartment after everything that had happened. 

He shook his head at his thoughts as he ate a spoonful of rice. The wind ruffled his salt and pepper hair gently, but Type stayed deep in thought without noticing his surroundings. Funny. I moved out of our house and back to our old apartment because the house had too many memories and now the memories won't leave me alone here either. He was starting to discover the memories would follow him wherever he went. Tharn was his heart and he couldn't more leave him behind than he could rip out the organ and walk away unscathed. 

"Uncle Type," a voice called softly and it startled Type out of his reverie. 

He lifted his head and found Kanya standing in front of him. She had a worried expression on her face, but looked beautiful. Her waist-length hair flowed behind her like a shampoo commercial and her short dress and wedge sandals made her look just like a model. 

Type gave her a small smile and gestured for her to sit down. 

Kanya sat down and immediately placed a hand on top of his. "Are you all right?" she asked with a frown. 

Type swallowed all the words down and lied through his teeth. "I'm fine."

Kanya pouted. "Then why haven't you answered my calls?"

Type sighed. "My head still hurts. I've had all my phones on silent." 

Kanya stroked his hand tenderly. "Do you want me to ask Ram to come over for a look?" 

"No, no no. I don't want to bother him," Type insisted. "How are both of you by the way? Are you planning your wedding?"

Kanya gave him a suspicious look. "You're changing the subject, but yes we are. I want you to be there to do the first dance with me."

"Doesn't the father usually do this?" Type asked with wide eyes. He was touched, but didn't want to overstep.

"Hah! I already asked dad and he knows how important you are to me," Kanya smiled widely and Type couldn't help but smile back. She reminded him so much of Tharn. The same fair skin and lines near their eyes. Wide eyes that expressed every emotion so clearly.  

"Then I'll be there with bells on, nong. Do you want something to drink?" Type asked as he made to get up to get it. 

Kanya stayed him with her hand and got up. "I'll get it. I want to discuss something else with you."

Type frowned at her retreating figure. He had no clue what she wanted to talk about, but just talking to her made him feel better. She was the only one who distracted him from the pain. When he looked at her, he only remembered the good times with Tharn and not his absence. 

Kanya walked back with a sprite in her hand and Type shook his head with a laugh. Tharn really was everywhere. He'd taught Kanya to drink Sprite to improve her mood up. He used to say the sugar gave him a surge of adrenaline. 

"Why are you laughing?" Kanya asked. 

Type nodded at the Sprite in her hand. "Tharn loved Sprite."

"I know. I'm just like him," Kanya bragged proudly. 

"Yes, you are" Type laughed out loud and it made Kanya give him a bright smile. "What did you want to talk to me about?"