Chapter 1

Bahrain International Airport, 28th March 2019.

I stepped out of the airport lobby to finally breathe some air. Great, the sun was clearly setting on the horizon and my phone is barely alive. I forgot to switch it off during the flight from Monaco and the battery decided to end its own life before I arrived in Sakhir.

There's one question:

Where do I go from here?

I can easily go back inside and find a charging spot but I stopped on my tracks as soon I saw the "Leclerc" sign being held up by someone on the arrival line.

"Miss Leclerc?", the person whom I thought was around in his mid 30s asked me as I approached him. "Yes, but actually, no. It's Lavigne."

He looked up to me as if he was surprised. "Oh, yes! Miss Clarisse Lavigne. I'm sorry for the error, but Mr. Todt actually insisted it be this way, saying that it'll make me find you more easily." He said while shrugging a bit, like he was doubting as well. "The car is waiting there, follow me please and let me take care of your luggage."

Nicolas Todt, of course, Charles' manager at Ferrari. I already told him prior to my flight that I don't want to pressure him with my arrival and I'll handle myself to head to the race. But, consider this a blessing in disguise, thanks to his help I can actually save more time to get there despite my dying phone.

The driver told me that we're going straight to the Bahrain Circuit paddock area and I sighed with a heavy heart, looking away at the tinted car window. He told me that my brother, Charles was actually at the paddock right now with some other drivers because the press conference was being held there. It should be finished by the time I arrive.

Just great.

I honestly didn't look forward to meeting Charles anytime soon, or the other way around. One thing I know for sure, he always despises me.

Why am I even here? It's because his mum sent me here and it hurt me to see how she was deeply worried about him. Charles was barely in touch with our family since the last season. He said something like he wanted to concentrate more on his races after the loss of Jules and his Papa and decided not to allow any of his family members to be with him in this season.

I know he'll hate me for this but it's my job.

Before I knew it, the car came to a halt and we arrived at the reserved parking area near where all the Ferrari staff's cars were parked.

The wind was actually pretty chilly when I stepped out of the car. I hugged myself tightly. My high heels clicked on the silent pavement as I made my way through the paddock, looking for Nicolas to thank him first in person.

Instead of the manager, my eyes met with a pair of familiar ones that I haven't seen for the past year. In the sea of reporters, Charles Leclerc stood frozen in front of the conference building when our gaze met each other.