Chapter 18

"I slipped a little when getting out of the car," Charles managed a lie.

She didn't know that he punched a wall in the garage because he couldn't contain his anger, his disappointment in himself. He could've done better. That thought replayed in his head over and over again. It was toxic and it's eating him alive.

"No shit," Clarisse didn't buy that but dragged him to the sofa anyways. They sat side by side and she brought his wounded hand towards her lips and kissed it. He was stunned and looked at her with adoration in his eyes. It felt just like the old days.

"Can't you just kiss me on the lips instead?" he joked at her and managed to let out a small chuckle. His dimples showing.

--------

Twelve years ago...

Ten years old Charles was practicing in the karting school in Monaco. His father, Jules and Clarisse sat on the side of the pit, watching him intently. Little Clarisse sat there underneath the shades, hiding away from the burning sun.

"He has potential," Jules Bianchi said to Charles' father. Though only 8 years older than Charles, Jules was sure of his judgement. He had eyes for talents.

Clarisse watched as Charles' father smiled at Jules' statement and turned again towards the track where Charles sped through all the corners perfectly.

Well, it wasn't all very perfect at the end as he miscalculated the braking point on the last turn of the track and went into the gravel. Jules rushed towards Charles to check if he's okay and Clarisse followed him. She didn't know why but she followed him. She was worried.

As they ran, they saw Charles slowly stepped out of the kart and stumbled on his steps, landing harshly onto the hard gravel. He pulled out his gloves and there was a quite nasty gash on his right palm and wrist.

Jules pulled him up and observed his body, seeing if he's hurt anywhere else. Thankfully there's only light injuries. "Even world champions made mistakes," he smiled at little Charles who's looking at him through his visor's helmet. The little boy nodded his head slowly, taking in Jules' statement.

"I am stupid," the word came out from Charles' mouth.

The afternoon practice came into a halt because of the incident. The three walked back towards the pit to get Charles' hand treated. His other non-injured hand was holding Clarisse's as they walked together. His father was waiting at the pit.

The medic team was taking a little time to get to Charles but there's nothing to worry about because it was just a small injury. Jules watched Charles and Clarisse's interaction with a smile on his face.

"Please fix it like you always do," Charles said while shoving his hand towards Clarisse. The seven years old girl nodded seriously and took his injured hand into hers and brought it towards her face. She planted a light peck on the side of the gash and Charles smiled.

"Does it still hurt?" Little Clarisse asked.

Charles observed his hand, eyebrows knitted while he was thinking seriously. "It still hurts."

Clarisse then moved forward and planted another kiss on his temple. It had become a ritual for both of them. Whenever Charles was hurt, he would always go find Clarisse and let her do the two-step magic healing. The little boy couldn't contain the little smile he had on his lips after she kissed him.

She let him go and asked him once again. "Better now?" Charles smiled at her and nodded. "Way better. The pain is gone now."

Jules chuckled at the side as he watched them. Suddenly he winced and let out an ugly fake sob, "Aw.. Clarisse, I think I hurt my arm too. Can you please heal me?"

"Oh no! Let me heal it too," she exclaimed and looked for Jules' injury which actually didn't exist.

"He's faking it," Charles snorted.

Jules broke out a laugh at Charles' obvious jealousy. "Alright, alright, I'm joking." The three laughed it off but Clarisse playfully kissed Jules on the cheek anyway.

"Don't get jealous, Charles," Clarisse said with a pout and took their hands together in hers. These blokes were the two brothers she never had. She'd never forget the beautiful times they spent together. She loved them so much, even until today.

They sat on the cool pit lane, gazing at the track. A second later, the nurse finally arrived with a first aid kit for Charles.

---------

Back in the motorhome...

"Can't you just kiss me on the lips instead?"

Clarisse let her mouth fall agape at his request. "I can't believe you," she shook her head and threw his hand away. "I'm joking!" Charles exclaimed. "But I want to kiss you, though," he said again.

Her eyes went wide as he leaned in without warning. But with her quick reflexes, she dodged him and he landed on the side of her shoulder instead. She held him there and embraced him, letting him breathe against the skin of her neck.

It made her shiver but she shook her head, didn't want to think about it too much. He slowly raised his hand and hugged her, caging her small waist in his arms.

"I miss those days, with Jules..." Charles trailed off. His voice was small, very small. But she could hear it clearly, alongside with the sorrow in his tone. Clarisse closed her eyes and stroked his hair lovingly.

"I know... I miss him too."

-----

A/N:

We all miss you Jules :(

I'm currently having an absolute, agonizing backpain. Dunno what the heck happened but suddenly I can't walk properly. Even writing this chapter was really painful... I'm going to see a chiropractor soon though. Hopefully it will get better :")

By the way, I have another book about Lando Norris on this account (Glass House). Please check that out! I hope you like it and see you soon on the next one :D