Chapter 11

[From Up on Poppy Hill Original Soundtrack - 24. Longing for Mother's Return]

3rd Person POV

Clarisse stepped down from the taxi with luggage in hand. Light rain poured over where she stood, the mud sticking onto her shoes like second skin. She sighed and looked up towards the sky and closed her eyes. Finally able to breathe in Monaco's air once again though she hasn't left home that long.

She let the soft mist of rain sprayed her skin as the taxi left her in front of the house's gate. The big house stood there in solitude, waiting for her to open its gate. Clarisse slowly walked towards the house and noticed an eldery form quick-walked towards the porch

It was mama.

"Clarisse!", she shouted while frantically looking for the nearest umbrella, afraid that Clarisse would get wet and sick from the rain. "Why are you suddenly here? You didn't call!", mama shouted again while walking towards her and held the umbrella over her head.

Clarisse was lost for words, looking down at the older woman who's clearly shorter than her. "Mama..." she whispered. "Oh dear..." the elder hugged her in a tight embrace.

"Did Charles do something stupid again?", damn those mother instincts.

He did... more like we did. But Clarisse didn't say anything as those silent tears poured down from her eyes. Guess she's going to spend the rest of the season at home. Coming over to Bahrain was a mistake after all.

The two women walked together towards the house while holding onto each other dearly.

----

China, April 2019

The first few nights in China were miserable. Not just because of the jetlag and time difference, but he felt like he left something behind and he knew well what it was. Or more like who it was.

He could see the glistening lights of the busy city from his hotel suite, up high in solitude. A glass of cold cognac in his hand, he gazed away, mind wandering in the distance.

Suddenly his phone dinged.

"Mate, what are you up to? Me, Carlos and Pierre are downstairs." Lando texted him.

----

"Man, you look awful. What happened?", Pierre asked Charles as soon as he showed up in the hotel lobby.

"Probably just the jetlag," Charles said curtly. He stuffed his hand inside his hoodie pocket. The April wind was still a bit chilly to his liking.

He noticed Lando looking elsewhere behind his shoulders. "Your sister's not here?"

Charles shook his head, "She went back to Monaco. There's something she needs to take care of at home."

The four boys went out for an evening drive around the city. Pierre was on the wheels while others at the passenger seats. They tried out some chinese foods and street snacks here and there.

Some reporters were following them and also sometimes they got ambushed by some fans that recognized them, not that they mind though. Thankfully there were not too many of them so they can still handle it.

"Lando, this is your fault!" Carlos said. "What! How is it my fault?", the McLaren boys bickered with each other.

"You're live on twitch, of course the fans recognized where we are," Carlos said while laughing. The fourth of them ran alongside the crowded streets towards their car.

"Yeah, mate, but I didn't think they would find us so soon!", curly boi guilty as charged.

Lando said goodbye to his chat and ended the stream as soon as they got into the car. The four spent the evening with good food and a short escape from the racing duties. Thank god Charles joined them, so he could get his mind occupied with something else at this hard time.