Chapter 27

"Why don't we go back as siblings?"

Did he hear her right?

"Wait, Clarisse. Why? Please don't do that." That one question from her genuinely scared him. "I don't want to lose you." Not like this.

He waited for her answer and slowly walked towards her again. Seeing her crying and confused while searching for an answer on her own, pained him.

"Like I said," she bit down her lip again, not daring to look into his eyes. "There might be some things that are not... suitable between us. I can't find the right words," she chuckled again.

"Clarisse..." He called her name again. "Whatever it is, I can fix it. We can fix it."

"I just feel like it's not working out, and it's wrong. This is not why I came here. I believe this whole thing between us brings more bad than good to you, and that's the opposite of what everybody wants."

"Clarisse," he reached out and held her hand, the other one wiped her tears away from her cheek carefully. "This is not about me. The world doesn't revolve just around me. It's about you too."

Seeing she didn't give him an answer to that, he asked her again. "Clarisse, tell me now. Do you want me too?"

She finally looked up to him "I do. But, wouldn't that be selfish of me? I don't think this is good for your life and career. I mean... you're obviously going to fit with someone from this world, not someone like me."

"My life is my responsibility, not yours. I can take care of myself and I know what I want. And I want you."

"Charles, I-" before she could continue, he cut her with another kiss again. But this time, it was a soft one. Their lips danced alongside each other in a steady and slow rhythm. He could taste a little hint of her tears on the corner of her lips, and it pained him to know that he was the reason behind them.

They pulled away and looked at each other longingly. "I want you to tell me now. I don't want to force you but please be honest with me." Charles said and paused. He took a deep breath before asking her, "Do you really... mean what you said earlier?"

She got him, about them being siblings again and putting whatever it is they're doing now aside, pretending like it never happened. "Thank you for asking me, Charles." she said solemnly. "I wanted to appreciate your opinions more. I'm sorry I acted like I never respected your thoughts before," he sincerely apologized.

Clarisse smiled at his sincerity and caressed his face. "I love you, Charles." She spoke quietly and Charles' eyes immediately sparked up with hope. "But I don't think this is right."

"So, do you want to stop?" Charles never wanted to ask that but he had to. Respecting her fully.

She nodded bitterly.

Another tear left her eyes. "Hey... don't cry, please?" he asked her. The pain struck his chest like a hammer. She made up her mind. He had to respect her decision.

"I love you, Clarisse. So much..." he trailed off and pulled to hug her once more and closed his eyes. He wanted the time to stop right there so he could hold her forever, but he knew that was not possible. Please don't leave me like this...

"Thank you for being honest with me, Charles. You will always be my family, and I will always love you."

"Please know that if you ever change your mind, I'll always be here. I'll be waiting for you, always."

"And you too. Though I know you'll manage just fine. I'm just another fling, okay? Don't think too much about me. And I'm sorry for slapping you earlier." she booped his nose playfully.

Another fling?

"I don't want to force you into this but just let me make love to you one last time."

With that, they closed the gap between them again and held nothing back. He kissed every inch of her skin, his girl, his Clarisse, for one last time before they part ways again.

She, too, embraced him like her life depended on it. But her mind knew that she must go on without him by her side. So they said, enjoy it while it lasts.

That wasn't how Charles imagined the evening would turn out. He was heartbroken. He was in a big mess. But life must go on, and he was thankful that he finally got the chance to clear things up with her like that.

Tired and sore, they held each other lovingly in a tight embrace. Warm and securely enveloped in the soft blanket. Charles kissed the top of her head and she smiled bitterly.

He pulled back a little, taking a good look at her face up close then put a piece of hair strand blocking her face. Oh, Clarisse...

That night he realized once again that Clarisse was never just a fling, also not just a mere childhood crush. He really was in love with her.

---------

A/n:

Hi guys, been a while since the last time I updated but don't worry, I already have a few more chapters ahead of this one so yep. Thank you so much for sticking up with this story! As soon as I'm completing this one, I'll update my second book (LN). Check it out if you haven't! Thanks and have a good one