Chapter 10

I woke up in the bed after hearing some soft shuffles on the sheets and a steady breathing across the nape of my neck. Wait...

Charles?

Suddenly the events of last night played inside my head and I wanted to faint right away. My cheeks instantly flushed from embarrassment and I tried to get away from him as soon as possible. But then I realized, I felt... pain between my legs.

Shit, how on earth did I let that happen?

Letting out a silent groan, still trying not to wake him up, I crawled my way out of the bed but he stopped me. Eyes still closed, sleeping soundly like a baby, but damn his hold was strong.

[Try Again - Instrumental - Jaehyun, d.ear]

I grabbed the blanket, trying to cover myself as much as I could. I'm worried if he really was up. "Clarisse.." I heard him call my name silently.

He slowly pulled me in again into the bed with much force that I couldn't fight against. Once again, I was enveloped in his warm embrace, but I could see his face clearly this time. Our bare skin pressed against each other.

"I hope I didn't hurt you," guilt laced in his silent yet raspy morning voice. Eyes still closed, he leaned in and planted a soft kiss onto my forehead.

So he was up.

"But you did," I replied, sighing. His eyes slowly fluttered open. I could see the sadness and regret swimming in it. "I'm so sorry," he was sincere.

He cupped my jaw again and leaned in to kiss me. The kiss was soft, unlike the last one I remember from last night. He pulled away to take a good look at me again. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me," he leaned to plant another kiss at the corner of my mouth again. I let him.

"But I think I'd have to let you go once again."

What? Why?

But deep down, I figured.

"Maybe you should," I said heavily to him, my mind wandering to nowhere.

He nodded silently, closing his eyes again and hugged me tight once more. "I wish I could hold you like this even longer." It was early in the morning and he might have looked composed and relaxed (and sad at the same time lol) but his brain was pretty much occupied with some stress already.

I didn't see his future with me in it. I was just simply not in the picture. He's a rising star, a spark glistening in the grid, and I was no one. Not even his real family.

My heart hurted. I cannot lie. But if I really love him, then I should respect his decision and let us part our ways.

"Oh, Charles," I said while brushing his hair one last time with my fingers.

----

[Farewell - Dario Marianelli from Atonement & Awaken (ft. Jack Liebeck) - Dario Marianelli from Jane Eyre]

We got dressed and packed our things up in a calm silence. I also helped him gather and sort his things, since I know he's a very messy person. Though I'm having trouble walking around, I still managed to finish the job.

I noticed him stealing glances at me but I needed to assure him of his choice, so I resisted hard not to look at him back. For the hundredth time, I felt my heart ache and it hasn't even been half a day.

Mr. Todt called him as I heard him speaking on the phone. He told us that the private jet has been waiting for the crew in the airport and the chauffeur was already in the hotel lobby, waiting for us to come down.

After he finished the call, our eyes met. I approached him, but not too close, and said, "I'm going to book another flight to Monaco." That's it. We're gonna part ways here.

His eyes widened and he swallowed hard, turning his head away to avoid my gaze. He closed his eyes and cleared his throat. "What are you gonna say to mama?" he asked after a short pause.

"Don't worry. I'm good at making excuses," I assured him with a thin smile.

The car ride was silent. There were only the two of us in the car and we didn't talk at all. But he managed to poke my hand and silently asked for permission. I nodded and let him hold my hand for the last time. He rubbed little circles with his thumb on the back on my hand. Later then, he hugged my whole arm and leaned on my shoulder, drifted to sleep. Just like when we were little.

The airport was packed with a lot of people swarming around. I met Seb and his crew chilling in the waiting area, waiting for boarding time. Charles already told his team to help me book my flight back to Monaco.

Of course they asked why, and I simply said I needed to take care of some things back home. "That's too bad. I'm gonna miss you for sure, Clarisse. Really enjoy your company," Seb told me genuinely.

I hugged him goodbye. "Oh, trust me you wouldn't miss me!" I said to him playfully. Charles stood there still. I noticed his eyes glancing at me but always looked away when I caught him. I let him be and stayed with the other Ferrari's staff while waiting for boarding.

The announcer on the speaker said that my flight was ready. I sighed. It's time to say goodbye.

Charles froze still in his position, hands in his pocket. He looked nervous, so I just approached him. It's gonna be the last anyway, so I tiptoed and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. He was startled and immediately touched his face. Looking at me with wide eyes.

Before he could say anything, I walked away from them and waved. "Goodluck in China, everyone! I'm gonna be watching you from TV at home!" I smiled at them.

Seb waved back. "Have a safe flight, Clarisse! I hope to see you soon this season!"

I smiled and waved one last time, then walked away towards my gate. I didn't even dare to look at Charles anymore because my chest... it felt painful.

That day I realized. Maybe I really was in love with him.

A/N:

That's for now guys. It's rather a short chapter but here it is. I hope you enjoy it! How do you think about the quali today? I'm so excited for tomorrow's race in Imola :3 Have a good day everyone