Chapter 28

30 June 2019

"Dear, can you please bring me more of those sliced fruits?" The old lady's voice could be heard from the living room while the little noise from the television also could be heard.

"Yes, sure, mama." Clarisse answered from the kitchen. Holding the plates with her hand, she could hear Crofty's familiar voice from the television. Ah... they're in Austria now?

"Here you go," she placed the plate onto the coffee table and stepped away to leave, just before mama's word stopped her in her tracks. "You don't want to watch it with me?"

She looked down at her. "Ma, I don't think so," Clarisse politely shook her head. "I think watching it is going to give me a heart attack." She laughed a little.

"You sure, darling? Charles is starting in first position."

"I'm good, ma. You go enjoy the show and don't forget to eat the fruits." She winked at the older lady.

With that, she left mama to watch the race alone in the living room. Their house in Monte Carlo felt a little lonely these past few weeks with just the two of them. But actually Clarisse kind of liked the silence. It's very peaceful.

14 July 2019

"So they're in Silverstone today?" Clarisse said while taking a seat next to mama hesitantly.

She nodded. "Yes. It better be a good race." For an old lady, she sounded very excited. Charles started in the 3rd position, chasing down the two Mercedes in front. "Love that drone angle," Mama pointed at the screen, giving thumbs up for the TV directors.

Clarisse chuckled at the lady's comment and continued to watch with her. Dwelling in her own thoughts, it's been a while since she lost contact with Charles. She wondered how he was doing?

Her focus once swifted again as she saw Charles and Max both pitted at the same time and were wheel-to-wheel in the exit of the pitlane. The two women held their hands together, hoping for Charles to get the better exit, but Max had him by perhaps 1 meter in front. But a few couple seconds later, they saw Max went a bit too wide on a corner and Charles easily overtook him.

"Yes!" The two cheered with joy, watching through the screen. He's now back in 4th position.

Max and Charles' battle has become the highlight of the race so far since the two fought each other very aggressively. There were so many heart-clenching moments throughout the race. It was until the 37th lap, where Vettel suddenly crashed into Max just right after he overtook him on the last turn.

"Oh my God, I hope they are okay..." Pascale whispered, worried. There was instantly a double yellow flag on that incident there. Just like that, both 3rd and 4th position sitters were gone into the gravel, but luckily none of the two retired. Vettel quickly went back into the track and so Max, through the escape route.

"Well, this one's pretty intense." Clarisse said.

Nothing surprising here, Lewis won the race and also scored the fastest lap as well in his home race. It was a Mercedes 1-2 and Charles finished 3rd on the podium. It could've been Max if it weren't because of the crash with Vettel earlier.

Later that night, Clarisse went to bed early, but found herself unable to sleep. She checked her phone while hiding under her blanket, looking at her messenger. Great, now her eyes were even more freshened up, she won't be able to sleep anytime soon.

There was one unread message from Carlos.

"Hey, how are you doing? We miss you here in the paddock :p"

She smiled at the short message and immediately replied to it.

"Sorry for the late reply. I'm doing well here. There's no better place like home :) I watched the race today. You finished sixth right?"

As soon as she saw the double blue tick sign, her phone rang loudly.

"Hello-" she answered the call.

"Thank you for the congratulation message," the other on the line immediately cut her off.

"Carlos, I didn't congratulate you, well, yet. I just asked if you really finished sixth because I doubt my own memory," she chuckled while rubbing her temples.

"Are you sleeping or what? You sound kinda tired."

"Yes, I am in bed now."

"By the way, you are correct, I finished sixth. So, more points." he said proudly.

"Well, I'm saying it now, congratulations for not crashing the car."

"Not what I expected, but thanks, Clarisse." she could feel Carlos rolling his eyes right now. "Oh, Lando also finished 9th, so double points for the team." He added.

"You just read my mind. I was just about to ask about him. Congrats for McLaren." She said happily.

"Lando just said hi for you."

"He did? Are you together right now? Please say hi to him from me as well."

"Yes, he's next to me. We're checking out of the hotel because we have to go to Woking immediately."

"Oof, such a tight schedule. Please take care of yourself, you two."

"Yessir." was his reply. She could hear him talking a bit with the concierge and then he talked to her again. "So, when are we gonna see you again, Clarisse?"

"Aww, do you guys really miss me that much?"

"Well, yes?" he asked in a tone but definitely did not stutter on that one. "So when?" He pushed her again playfully.

Clarisse sighed. "Well, I don't really know to be honest... It's just that maybe I need more time at home."

"Just to guilt-trip you, I'm going to say that I'm disappointed in that answer," he joked. "Oh please, don't be like that," she laughed.

"It's okay, I'm just messing with you. Just know that the McLaren garage and hospitality suite will always welcome you whenever you decide to come to the race."

"That's very sweet, Carlos. Thank you." That invite would make her think about coming to the race again throughout the night, but then Lando chimed in.

"Keep it down, Carlos, or Charles might hear you." And the two snickered like little kids. Oof.

"Wait, is Charles with you guys?" Clarisse immediately asked.

"No, he's not here, calm down Clarisse." Carlos answered. "See? She's panicking right now. You shouldn't do that," he said to Lando, and his little yelp could be heard through the phone call. Maybe he pinched him or something.

"I miss the chaotic energy radiating from you two," Clarisse said with a little laugh. "But now I have to go to sleep."

"It's been nice talking to you, Clarisse. Just call or text us if you're bored or something."

"Thank you, Carlos."

With the phone call ended, she didn't sleep a blink that night. A little tint in her heart regretted not asking about how Charles was doing but she also knew it was the right thing to do. The man surely could take care of himself.

--------

17 July 2019

The cold breeze brushed through her hair as she put down a small bouquet of daisies and gypsophila onto the stone. "Good afternoon, Jules." Clarisse smiled and sat down on the grass.

----------

A/N:

HeLLo ThErE :3

Before you guys google it, 17th July is the date when our beloved Jules Bianchi left this world :( may his soul rest in peace. 

Did you guys watch the British GP yesterday? That opening lap was chaos :") thankfully Max is okay. And as always, I hope you enjoy this chapter!