Chapter 13

Turned out that this year's Azerbaijan GP was not the one for one of her dear friends, Gasly. He got DNF due to an engine problem on lap 39. Grosjean, Kvyat and Ricciardo were also out. It finished with Mercedes 1-2 and Vettle on the 3rd position.

She wanted to say congratulations to Vettel but realized she didn't have his contact whatsoever, and he's also not social media. Groaning and leaning against the sofa, she bit her lip, wondering if she should contact Charles instead. He finished P5 today anyway.

She noticed that he texted her last night but she left it on read, not in a mood for any interaction with him at the moment. Why? Because she thought it was a little awkward right now, remembering their last encounter.

"How are you holding up there?"

She read the sentence again but ignored it nonetheless.

-----

Clarisse and mama were peeling the fruits in the kitchen. They were standing side by side in a comfortable silence while looking at the peaceful sunset through the window. They could see some bird resting at the tables and stools in the backyard.

"So, when are you gonna tell me? Or do I need to wait even longer?" there was a thin smile played at mama's lips, her dimples appeared.

"Tell you about what?" Clarisse confusedly asked.

"Ah, you know what I'm talking about. Ever since you came home so abruptly, I knew right away something was off." She put down the knife and leaned against the kitchen counter, facing her.

Clarisse was lost of words, she wasn't prepared for this. She knew that mama eventually was gonna notice but, "This is just not the time, ma." she dodged.

Mama sighed lightly and placed a hand on Clarisse's shoulder. "Take your time, but please remember that I'm always here, and the more you wait, the longer time you are gonna take to resolve the problem."

The older woman went back to peel the fruits and mumbled, "That stupid boy must've done something again."

Clarisse's mind wandered to Charles who's currently in Baku. "It's... he is... very complicated." she whispered, but loud enough for mama to hear her.

"So what did he do this time? Did he kiss you?"

Wait, what? Where did that come from?

"Ma, what are you talking about?"

"I've always known that Charles had a crush on you since you were both children. When he finally got into F1, he got a little cocky and acted like an adult but deep down I know that he's still my little boy," mama paused a bit.

"He might have a few girlfriends back in then, but never introduced one to me nor brought them home," she turned towards her again. "But I can see the way he looked at you never changes, until now, or at least the last time I saw him," she trailed off.

She misses him too, Clarisse figured. "I don't think he likes me, ma. He always pushes me away too, well since we've grown up." she remembered they were so close when they were little.

"What happened during your day in Bahrain, dear? If you're okay, you can tell me," she persuaded again and Clarisse felt like maybe that's the right thing to do.

She told her all except the explicit part, of course. And mama was quick at her instincts. "He's as jealous as he's ever been," the older woman chuckled in amusement. "So, you're still texting this Lando kid?"

Clarisse bit the inside of her cheek and nodded yes. "Honestly, I enjoy his company a lot. He's funny and... I can say, cute?"

"Mhm... but do you see him in your future, dear? I mean, can you see him in the picture?"

She wondered a bit and shook her head.

Before they knew it, they finished peeling the fruits and Clarisse proceeded to throw away the trash.

Mama looked at hardworking Clarisse, always neat and on point on everything she does. Oh how she wished she could have Clarisse as her own daughter for real.

"I just missed the day when we were kids. We were all so close," Clarisse suddenly said to herself.

"Clarisse, dear." mama called out again. She walked up to her, "Do you think you love him?" because to her, she looked like a teenage girl in love, confused of her own feelings and too afraid to believe it.

"Ma, I-.." she trailed off.

Mama suddenly clapped her hands in front of her face, startling her. "Give me a quick answer! One, two, three, go!" she surprised her.

"I do."

Clarisse awkwardly looked away, moving a piece of her hair in the back of her ear. "Well, I mean as a family. We've like siblings, right?" she tried to hide away her flustered state.

"No, no, dear. That's all I need to hear. Even if you love him as a woman loves a man, there's nobody stopping you. Take your time and be sure of yourself."

She walked away from her towards the living room, "Please don't be burdened by this, but you know you can bring him back. Bring him home."

-----

A month later.

The Spanish GP ended a few weeks ago with the same pattern all over again, with Mercedes on top. Clarisse received a text from Lando that he's currently in Monaco, preparing for the next GP.

He's here, then Charles must be here too.

They talked a bit on the phone like usual, Lando telling her stories about how hard the exercise was. Especially the neck exercise which was very brutal.

"Yes, I'm sore all over. My body feels stiff like cardboard," he joked. "You better eat good food and get a lot of rest after all that stuff," Clarisse replied.

"Speaking of good food, are you free tonight?"

"What, are you taking me out?" she teased.

"Uhh.." he stammered, "Well, since I'm in the city and I got the time, we can try, I think? I mean, if you want as well, and if you have time. But you don't have to force it if you don't want to-"

"Lando, lando," she cut him off, facepalming. "I'll go with you, don't worry." It's just a regular dinner, no one's gonna get hurt.

"Great. I will pick you up later tonight. Send me your address. Do you have any particular thing you want to eat tonight, though?" he asked her. A smile played on his face.

Clarisse shook her head, "No, it's what you want to eat is more important. I'm okay for everything. It's up to you to choose." she told him.

"Okey-dokey. I will set up the reservation then. See you later tonight," he happily answered.

The phone call ended and Lando put his phone back to his pocket, then a voice called out for him. "Who were you talking on the phone with?"

"Oh, hey Charles."

A/N:

Another boring chapter, I'm so sorry. But I promise things are going to get a bit more spicy in the next one! Also I always read the last line in Tommy Wiseau's tone on "Oh, hi Johnny." lmao what is wrong with my brain