Chapter 29

Clarisse inhaled the breeze and closed her eyes, sitting on the soft grass with her legs crossed.
"Charles finished on the podium in Silverstone 3 days ago. Isn't that great, Jules?"

Of course, silence was her only reply. She caressed the cold headstone that's sitting on the ground next to her. "I miss you." Silence again.

Time passed. Before she knew it, it's already time to go home and she had to catch her bus back to Monte Carlo as soon as possible. She kissed the headstone goodbye and took her leave. Looking back every five seconds with a heavy heart. It's been 4 years and it's still hard to believe that it's real.

Time passed, indeed.

------------

The sun was already setting when Charles stepped out of his car and walked through the gate of the cemetery. It's been a while since the last time he visited Nice. Through the symmetrical blocks, he already knew well where he should be heading.

Charles let out a sigh as he arrived at Jules' headstone. He smiled thinly and squatted over to caress the stone like he always does when he comes here. In the corner of his eyes, he noticed a little bouquet of flowers resting at the side of the tombstone. Was Clarisse here?

Charles always couldn't find anything to say when he arrived at Jules' final resting place. Lacking words, he laid down next to the headstone and rested the back of his head on his palms, looking up at the sky above them. Just like when they were small, taking a break on their karting practices, they loved to just lay next to each other and rest. Basking their skin in the sunlight.

"I can't believe it's been four years." The words finally left Charles' mouth.

-------------

3 August 2019

Living her quiet life in Monte Carlo has been pretty nice. Clarisse kept in contact with some of the drivers that messaged her through her social media and messenger. There were Carlos, Lando and sometimes Daniel.

She was chopping some vegetables on the cutting board while holding her phone between her ear and shoulder.

"I could hear some kitchenware clanking. Are you making something?" Lando asked from the other side of the phone. "Just some basic, boring salad."

She could hear a rustle from the other side and now Carlos was speaking. "You're telling me you didn't watch the whole free practice?"

"Yeah, I didn't. It was just practice, right?"

"You make it sound like it's super boring," Carlos said while making a fake annoyed expression. "It is boring." she answered.

There was no response on the other line.

"Alright, alright, I'm just joking.I promise I will watch the quali, okay?" she laughed.

"You better keep your promise."

"Mum's the word. So how's Hungary been treating you guys?"

"It's nice but quali's gonna be stressful because my dad is here."

"Your dad? You mean the Carlos Sainz. Sr himself?"

"Wow, so you know about my dad?"

"Pfft, I found out just a while ago on the internet, but he's a rally champion right?"

"Correct. The power of the internet. So, what's the news with the boy next door? Any good stuff?" Carlos teased her.

"Oh, shut up."

After wishing for a good qualifying session for the two McLaren boys, the phone call ended. It was still in the afternoon when the session started and Clarisse watched it through the TV screen of the house. Both McLarens will start on 7 and 8 tomorrow while Charles and Vettel on 4 and 5.