🥀 Chapter 73 🥀

Affection or negligence? Affection. It was the heart singing a loving melody to those who deserve it. In other words, it was endearment and fondness one would express to the person or object they love. When looking closely, affection was a daily routine of life. Depictions such as two birds humming a tune on the same branch, basking in each other's company are drawn to represent what affection should look like. Though, illustrations change all the time and there was nothing one could do about that. As to what changes illustrations, was a simple concept and that concept was time. Surreal, sweet and brutal change takes place not within a second, but within a millennium. Thousands and thousands of years ago, the idea of true affection was not what one would see today. In former times, people would label the word affection to an icon. Specifically, they would relate the idea of affection to Cupid. According to myths and sources, Cupid was a winged messenger that wielded a bow and an arrow. He was known as the god of affection, desire and love in the older days. It was also often stated that Cupid would shoot an arrow at two individuals, causing them to fall in love immediately. Some depictions show that Cupid used this talent of his with great responsibility. He would only use his power to make individuals fall in love when he felt it was necessary. If people showed true and pure affection towards each other, then Cupid would use his arrows. If people showed detest and hatred towards each other, then Cupid would not dare to use his arrows. Negligence. However, depictions can be seen as both negative and positive. Over time, Cupid has been seen as a negative icon rather than a positive one. In paintings, Cupid is drawn with a blindfold. This represents that he is careless with his arrows, making anyone and everyone fall in love. He doesn't look before he shoots and that causes catastrophe between lovers. Recently, he is now drawn with wings to show that he is mischievous. After shooting an arrow at a random couple, he would fly away and fleet the scene. Despite being the god of affection, Cupid is now drawn as someone who does not know the meaning of affection and uses love as his game board. Nevertheless, I believe that love is not to be used as a tool of mischief. Love is meant to be sharp and clean. In the sense that one knows the person they are with and they are on the same page with them. I blinked. That was what Izuru and I have. We know that we are in love and we show that through our respect, appreciation, affection and devotion to each other. We never needed Cupid to tell us that we were in love because we knew it ourselves. I just hope that one day everyone finds that unique someone that will truly respect them and love them. I believe that people won't need Cupid to throw an arrow at them because they know that deep down their lover would always treasure them. The orange hydrangeas had a saccharine and sugary smell that whiffed across my nose every few seconds. It wasn't a strong or an abhorring smell in the slightest and in fact, it gave me a sense of comfort. I inhaled a small breath, glancing around the room and at the guests. From under the wedding arch, I could see everyone that I knew in a clear, pristine view. Majority of the guests were watching us intently with petite smiles of exuberance. There was even a small percentage that had eyes dripping with watery content and tissues tightly folded in their hands. My eyes drifted towards my mother, who was sat at one of the back chairs on the right side. She held a vivid smile and gave me a small nod, reassuring me that I would do perfectly fine. I blinked, realising from her nod that I should have started speaking now. Immediately, I moved my head to face Izuru. I cleared my throat and looked back at my lover and then at the priest. They both waited patiently, knowing that I was to go first with stating the vows. When I was actually writing my vows, I thought for a long time about what I should put down. Normally, one would state what they will commit to their partner in their vows. I knew that I wanted to make mine special because we were both only going to say this once in our lives and it needed to be memorable.
"Izuru," I started and watched as a smile grew even further on his face. "I vow to you that I will be your umbrella when it rains, your sun when you need warmth, your paper crane when you need luck, your pillow when you need rest, your entertainer when you are bored, your inspiration when you need a muse and your rose when you need love. I devote to you all of this, along with my respect and appreciation for you," I carried on and felt my voice getting quieter as well as my throat getting raspier. I gulped and rubbed my eyes with my blazer sleeve. Thankfully, no tears had indulged my eyes yet, but I still felt a tinge of sorrow within my sclera.
"I love you Izuru and I hope that you will allow me to always be your rose and your lucky clover," I finished speaking, knowing that I spoke slightly faster than necessary which made my vow seem shorter. I didn't remove my eyes from Izuru but I could hear the slight sound of sniffles from the guests. The priest smiled and nodded in acknowledgement to my vow. She then manoeuvred her head slightly to face Izuru, indicating that it was his turn to speak now. Izuru shifted his eyes to her and then to me. His face showed no signs of tears but one could tell that he was greatly moved by my vow with the way he was smiling. It wasn't a beaming smile of content, but a subtle smile of appreciation.
"Nagito, may we forever be lovers. May we forever be teammates. May we forever be friends. May we forever respect each other. May we never hurt each other. May we never keep secrets. May we always be happy. May we always be together. May we love each other forever. I vow to you that I will love you unconditionally and wholeheartedly. I vow to you that you will always be respected and that I will never let you go. I love you and I hope that the rest of our lives will be spent in happiness and euphoria," Izuru completed his vow professionally without a pause. I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude and ecstasy surround my heart when I heard his vow. It was perfect. Everything was perfect. I blinked a couple of times, trying to dismiss the idea of crying at my wedding. The priest straightened her posture and smiled, blinking rapidly.
"Do you, Izuru Kamukura, take Nagito Komaeda as your lawful husband from this day forward?" she stated, gathering her confidence slightly. Izuru glanced at her and nodded.
"I do," he confirmed, his black hair swaying side to side. The priest nodded and then glanced at me to ask relatively the same thing.
"Do you, Nagito Komaeda, take Izuru Kamukura as your lawful husband from this day forward?" she questioned me, while raising her eyebrow. I smiled and nodded energetically before she could say anything else.
"I do," I exclaimed with a smile, my words echoing in the ballroom. The priest nodded and closed her eyes. She stayed silent for a moment before reopening her eyes and staring at all of the guests.
"Then with the power invested in both me and Hell, I pronounce you two demons married. You may kiss, if you wish," she finished speaking and hid her hands behind her back. I blinked and then realised what she had just stated. I was married. I smiled, feeling giddy once more. I was officially married. A feeling of elation surrounded my stomach, making it twist and turn. My heart was racing even though the vows were over. I couldn't believe it. It had been such a long journey leading up to this and I was finally married. The priest announcing a mere few words have changed everything in my life. I gulped and glanced at the ring on my hand. The ring officially meant that I was married now. My thoughts spiralled into colourful contentment and then for the first time ever, both Izuru and I kissed. It was at that moment, where everything felt wonderful.