Chapter 11: Ariella

Chapter 11 Ariella

            "Ariella!" Someone yelled. Thomas and I turned around to see Natalie running towards us. Brittney and Mother were walking behind her and they waved when they saw me look at them.

            "Are you alright?" Natalie asked as she pulled me into a hug. "That big, mean man didn't do anything to you, did he?"

            "Like I would hurt her!" Thomas threw his hands in the air and shook his head.

            "I-I'm fine." I blushed. "He told me about the fountain."

            "Why would he do that?" Natalie glared at him. "Didn't you have better things you could have talked to her about rather than that boring old thing?"

            I stared at her in surprise and glanced at Thomas.

            Was he bored when he explained the fountain to me? Did he not really want to?

            "Hmmm, I wonder why." Thomas grinned and put his arm around my shoulder. "Why would I explain to Ariella about the fountain that glorifies the people with her Power? Well, I really have no idea. Perhaps I just got caught up with the masterpiece!"

            Natalie glared at him and then huffed. "Still boring." She muttered.

            "What's boring?" Brittney asked as she and Mother finally joined us. Both of them were holding a basket that was filled to the brim with what looked like fruit and vegetables.

            "Thomas spent his time with Ariella talking about the fountain!" Natalie exclaimed.

            "I've no idea what possibly came over me." Thomas shook his head and then turned to Mother. "Is that everything?"

            "Yep, we just have to get to the seamstress's to pick up one of her dresses and then we'll be done." Mother smiled at me. "Tell me, hun, have you ever had a strawberry?"

            "A what?"

            "I will take that as a no." She laughed as she plucked a small red berry off the rest. She handed it to me and I realized they were all looking at me. I blushed and looked down to study it. The berry was red with yellowish-white seeds on the outside of it. Some cold, light pink liquid slid down my fingers as I took a bite. My left hand shot up and incased my wrist in hopes of preventing the juices from going into my sleeve. What surprised me was the flavor. The berry was sweet, not a rich overpowering kind of sweetness, but a simple kind. I never tasted anything like it.

            "And now you have had your first strawberry!" Mother laughed. I nodded and blushed in response.

            "You know, there's going to be a lot of 'firsts' for Ariella!" Natalie giggled as she slipped her arm in mine.

            "Really?" Thomas asked her, "I thought she had experienced everything we had!"

            "Oh, stop being a smart ass." Natalie glared at him.

            I giggled softly as Brittney rolled her eyes.

            "He does have a point though; it is pretty obvious she's going to have a lot of 'firsts'." She said.

            "Yes, well, I plan on seeing every single one of them!" Natalie exclaimed.

            "Not all of them." Brittney told her as she bit back a smile and Thomas snorted next to me. I looked between the four of them and saw that Mother had put her head in her hands and was shaking her head slightly.