Chapter 45: Alexander

Chapter 45 Alexander

"How on earth did you live through that?" Nicoli demanded, his voice filled with laughter. Glaring at him in anger, I tried my hardest to ignore his question as the healer wrapped up my injuries. I knew that this wasn't going to be easy. I was already pushing myself to the limit, my muscles protested with every movement and my bones ached, but I wouldn't give up.

My gaze shifted to the other side of the arena as I tried to study Ariella from where I was. Perhaps it was foolish to put myself through this, even though I hadn't known Ariella for long. Then again, we deserved that chance. Even if she didn't choose me, even if Ariella decided she didn't love me, that should be our decision, not society's.

If I failed this and lived, I wouldn't survive the next battle. I knew the battle strategies. The men who could heighten everything, especially the ones of my stature, tends to die rather young. They're put up front with others, they're trained to go into the battle first, and they're usually the first to die. That was their way of removing the threats to the order they so proudly care for. And now Thomas Mathews knew. Glancing towards him as he talked to his father, I knew that it was over, that the Captain would know the truth. The way I already saw it, I should have dug my grave yesterday.

"Now you just have to fight the parents." Nicoli pounded on my back, humor filled his voice.

"Aye." I nodded, unsure of what else to say. I watched the two of them fight before. Together, they're invincible, but they're almost impossible to beat on their own. The best way to defeat Mrs. Mathews is to get in fast, before she has time to call on her Power. I had never seen the twins fight with their Power, but the mother was a different story. She was deadlier with her Power than she was with a sword and everyone knew she could stand her own against her husband.

"Just get the blade to her neck and you'll be fine." Nicoli told me, his blue eyes twinkling with merriment.

"I thought you were supposed to be worried about me and telling me not to get killed." I told him and he shrugged, his arm slipping around my shoulders.

"Nah, I already have the headstone figured out. 'The idiot who fought for love and died.' Sounds good, no?"

"Get lost." I grumbled as I shoved him off and stalked towards the field. This wasn't going to be a battle of skill, but one of luck. Mrs. Mathews walked towards me, her sword already firmly held in her hand. Her eyes glinted darkly as she stared at me and I could feel something inside of me sigh.

I was really getting tired of Ariella's family hating me.

"Why don't you just surrender, boy?" Mrs. Mathews flicked her sword towards my stomach where her son sliced me open. "You've been cut up enough, shouldn't this game be over with by now?"

"If it was a game, then I'd agree with you." I told her, fastening my fingers around the hilt.

"So you refuse to give up?" She demanded.

"Obviously."

"Why?" She snapped, her eyes were narrow, bare slits much like a cat's, as she glared at me.

"Because I can't lose her. Not after finding her."

Surprise flashed across her face, her sword dropped slightly as she stared at me. "What do you mean?"

"Begin!" The man shouted, but neither of us moved, her eyes studying into mine.

"I mean, I won't lose her, not unless she chooses to." Tightening my grip on my sword and bending my knees slightly, I waited for her attack, for the battle to really start. Her eyes flashed with something other than anger as she ran towards me, her hand lashed out and snagged my left wrist. Her thin fingers gripped my wrist firmly, her nails digging into my skin.

"You're a Drawer, aren't you?" Her face was close to mine and I could tell the small wrinkles developing on her skin.

Tearing my wrist away from her, my left hand shot up and beat her sword arm away. She jumped backwards, her brown hair flying around her as she stayed in midair. This couldn't be the way she finds out, I can't do that to Ariella. I just couldn't. Charging forward, the cheers of the crowds echoing in my ears, my eyes studied Mrs. Mathews. Her feet planted themselves on the ground, her position was flawless and I knew she would be hard to move. Her sword pointed upwards, the sunlight glinting off the metal. My sword slashed towards her side, hers rising to parry the blow and we stood there, locked in combat.

"That's what it is, isn't it?" She demanded, her voice loud enough only for me to hear. "You're her Drawer. That's the only thing that would explain this."

"Doesn't matter." I grunted as I skipped backwards and she followed, her sword swinging at my legs.

"Yes it does." She hissed as our swords collided again. "Now tell me, are you her Drawer?"

"Seven years." I told her and realization filled her eyes. Knowing that I was taking a cheap shot, but that it was my only chance, I yanked my sword away and slammed it down on the base of the sword, tearing it from her hands. Flicking my sword upwards, I placed the blade to her neck. I knew that this was luck, that it was nothing more than that.

"My husband won't listen right now." She told me, her hand brushing away the blade and bent down to pick hers up. "It would be best for you to surrender."

"I won't." I told her and she snorted.

"He'll kill you, boy." She turned to me, her hand on her waist as she studied me. "The way I see it, you've proven yourself enough. There's no point in getting yourself killed."

I wasn't surprised by the reaction. It was always a bad idea to fight against destiny, to fight against the reality, and now that she knew what I was, she knew that there would be no other way. Instead of fighting it, she'd accept it. It happened a lot, the parents would accept. But the girl was always different. Some grew bitter at the man because they were forced, others learned to accept, but very rarely did they learn to love the man. There was too much anger at the forced arrangement that they couldn't bring themselves to love the man. I refused to do that to Ariella.

"Maybe I'll get lucky." I told her as I turned away. One more fight and I knew I was going to lose.

t