Chapter 77: Alexander

Chapter 77 Alexander

"Well we're here." Thomas sounded behind me as his eyes glanced over to his father. Neither of Ariella's parents were pleased with the change of plans, but hadn't had much time to voice it. "I can't believe we're following orders from a ghost."

"Ariella trusts her and I trust Ariella." I told him again as my gaze darted around, studying the scenery around me. The children ran around, their laughter echoing in the streets while the adults gossiped among themselves. Occasionally voices stood out from the others, whether it was full of laughter or dripping with hatred, I didn't bother to keep track.

"Captain!" A voice shouted and I felt Captain Mathews tense beside me. My eyes fell on a Tracker, his hand waving wildly above his head as he walked closer to us.

"She wanted us to talk to a Tracker?" Thomas grumbled and I glanced back at him as I shrugged.

My eyes scanned over the window's watching the sunlight reflect off the glass. As I turned away, my gaze caught something, a shadow in the distance. It grew slightly larger as a man stood on top of a roof and lifted something to his shoulder.

"Shanae." Her name left my lips in a whisper and I sensed her as she stepped closer, her shoulders tensing as she saw what I did. She whipped around and I turned and watched her, her eyes a clear white, minus the blacks of eyes.

"Get down!" The pitch of her voice screeched in our ears and, instinctively, we dropped to the ground, our bodies pressing against the earth beneath us.

A shattering noise echoed in our ears as the window shattered when the arrow pierced it, glass flying in the air and littering the ground. Pain shot from my cheek as the glass swiped across them in their fall. Screams filled my ears as the women and children realized what had happened. I lifted my head off the ground, blood dripping from my cheek, staining the ground beneath. The others picked themselves up off the ground, small cuts from the glass littered their skins. The Tracker that was running towards us caught my eye as he laid there, an arrow sticking out of his back.

"He knew something." Captain Mathews sighed as he walked over, pressing his hand against the man's neck before shaking his head. "That had to be why he was killed."

"This was what that spirit wanted us to see?" Maranda Mathews demanded as she turned towards me and I shrugged.

"Shanae!" Isabella shouted and I whipped around, my eyes taking in the sight. An arrow stuck out of Shanae's arm, blood tainting her shirt and skin.

"And here I thought I was the idiot for getting injured." I told her with a small smile as I walked forward, offering Isabella a hand to get Shanae on her feet.

Her face was pale, and I could tell not just from the blood.

"Who did you see?" I demanded and her eyes drifted over to mine.

"Hern." She whispered. "It was Captain Hern."