Chapter 41: Alexander

Chapter 41 Alexander

"Alex!" An all too familiar voice shouted from behind and I turned around in time to see my friend Nicoli rushing towards me. He skidded towards a stop as his hand whipped out in front, pointing at me. "Please tell me that you didn't do something stupid!"

"Depends what I did?" I chuckled as I turned back and continued on my route, my eyes studying the busy city streets. At this time of the day, people were going through shift changes so some were on their way to work while others were on their way home. It was a normal day, nothing out of the ordinary so there was little for me to do besides walk.

"Did you go to the hospital with Ariella Mathews?" He demanded, his eyes glaring at me. He bit back a frustrated scream when I nodded and then his hand came crashing down onto my shoulder. "Did you hug her?"

"Well, actually she hugged me, I just hugged back." A grin sprawled on my lips as I remembered. She was only able to tend to three people in total, but those three was enough for her to be ecstatic and she hugged me. He groaned next to me, his hands falling to his side as he studied me.

"You're dead." He grumbled.

"And why would I be dead?" I demanded. My fists clenched angrily as I whipped around and stared at him. His eyes looked defeated before he glanced away from me and a growl slipped from my lips. "Why shouldn't I hug Ariella? We've known each other for a little while, we talk almost every day, I am her Drawer, and I, for one, have feelings for her."

"Yes, but her family doesn't know!" Nicoli shouted as he threw his hands into the air. "One of those people she tended to was the son of the Lieutenant."

"What?" My shoulders tensed as I stared at him, realization flooded my body.

"Aye, and now the Captain, her father, knows about the whole thing and he's planning on sending someone to find you!" Nicoli exclaimed. His hands collided with my shoulders, his eyes staring into mine. "You have to show them the pictures and tell them that you're her Drawer."

"And then they'll force her to be with me and I don't want that!" I shouted, shoving him off before walking away.

"If you don't, they'll challenge you to prove that you care for her!" He rubbed his face with his hands as if he was hoping to wipe this all away. "You know how those men are, they'll make you do something incredibly dangerous and you could end up dead!"

"Don't you think I know that?" Taking a deep breath and glancing up at the sky, I could only wonder what Ariella would think about this. She wasn't accustomed to the way things are around here, she wouldn't understand why she had to be with me and I had a feeling that her family would never respect me if I hid behind the fact I was her Drawer. Standing as tall as I could, I turned back to my friend. "Even with that, I can't do it. If they call for me and the challenge me, then I'll accept it and fight for the chance to be with her."

"And if you die?"

"Well, as my father once said, it's better to fight for something than to hide from everything." I gave him a confident smile and saluted him before walking away, dread filling my body. This wasn't going to end well, I knew it.

***************************************************************************************

"Morales." Someone shouted and I turned to find myself staring at an infuriated Thomas Mathews. His eyes glinted darkly as he stalked towards me, his fists clenching in anger.

"Mathews." Nodding my head in respect and fought the urge to say any more than what I should, I studied him as he stood in front of me. He always was a buff man, but standing over me like he was, I was able to realize why so many people were terrified about making him angry.

"My father has called for you." His voice was deep and threatening as he turned around and stalked away.

Not even two hours and it's already happening. Sighing softly, I followed Thomas Mathews down the hall and towards his father's office. When we stopped at the door, Thomas Mathews turned to me. "You may have saved my life, but that means nothing when it concerns my sister. It's best you understand that." He growled deeply as he stalked into the room and I took a deep breath as I walked inside.

In all honesty, I'd have felt safe being surrounded by Hunters.

Captain Mathews and his wife stood behind the desk in front of me, both of their gazes glared at me in frustration. The sons stood together on the right, each of them looking as if they wanted to kill me with their bare hands. As for the daughter on the left, they stood cool and collected, but their eyes smoldered with anger.

While the Healers never minded about social standing, it was a different issue all together with the Protectors. To them, a street walker was worthless in their eyes. They keep the order in the streets, but nothing more. Now they were being challenged. By me. And now they want to kill me.

"A peculiar rumor came across our attention earlier, Alexander Morales." Captain Mathews explained, his hand reaching towards a parchment on his desk. "A rumor that you were with my daughter while she was in the hospital. That she hugged you and you hugged her back. And that you kissed her." His eyes studied me, frustration radiated through them as we stared at each other, no one making a sound.

"Is the report true?" Mrs. Mathews demanded, her arms crossed in front of her.

"Yes, ma'am."

They all tensed and their anger turned to pure hatred. I wasn't angry with them, I knew that they wanted to protect Ariella, save her from any more pain and suffering. I understood and respected that. The only issue was that they saw me as the threat.

"And what makes you think you can do something like that to my daughter?" The Captain demanded, his fists pounding on the table.

I knew what he wanted to hear, I knew he wanted me to say that we were just friends, that there was nothing going on. But that wasn't the truth. I knew that it wasn't and I wasn't going to lie. Staring into his eyes, careful to keep myself as calm as possible, I had to tell the truth.

"I love her."

The reaction was immediate. Ariella's brothers drew their swords, ready to attack, the sisters stared at me in horror, and her parents glared at me in disbelief.

"You what?" Captain Mathews demanded, his fists colliding with the table, a thud echoing in the chamber. "You expect us to believe that."

"No, sir." I told him, my shoulders tightened as I tensed. "I don't think you could ever believe me, but the fact remains that I am in love with Ariella Mathews and I would do anything to prove it."

"You would, would you?" Mrs. Mathews looked at me before turning to her husband. "Then I say we should give him that chance."

"As do I." Captain Mathews responded, his eyes glinting dangerously. "If you wish to prove yourself and your love, then you will come to the arena tomorrow for one on one fights with each of us."

"If you don't show up, then that shows us the truth." Mrs. Mathews told me, a small smile played on her lips. I knew that they thought they won, that I wouldn't show up. To them, their job is to protect their daughter from anyone who would harm her. To me, I wanted to be a part of her life, forever.

"I'll be there."

s