Chapter 79: Ariella

Chapter 79: Ariella

Contrary to what I thought, the month that followed was relatively peaceful. No attacks, no random murders, just a normal month. Well as normal as you could get with the Queen coming almost daily the last couple weeks.

According to her, after everything that happened with Hern and the Hunters, the City needed something to celebrate and, what better, than celebrating my birthday and Vowing Ceremony in front of them?

A soft appeared on my lips as I stared out the window, fully aware that a few of the people were preparing the stage in the town square, that men and women were searching the City to make sure that everything was safe. To them, this was more than just my birthday, to them, this was the day they obtain a Healer of Water. A real one. Me.

My arms wrapped around my waist as I turned away and walked back to the couches, nerves tearing me apart.

It sounded so abnormal to be nervous about this. So nervous about taking my Vow and becoming a Healer of Water. I knew it was what I wanted, what I needed to do. But I couldn't help but wonder if I was making a mistake. I knew it was dumb and I knew I was over thinking it. After everything I've gone through, with Nimiane and my friends all helping me, I stopped doubting. But today, the day I take my Vow, this is when I begin to doubt again.

A soft knock interrupted my thoughts and I turned to watch Alexander walk inside, a soft smile appeared on his lips when our eyes made contact. He walked closer, his hand slipping around my wrist as he pulled me close and hugged me.

"Happy birthday." He whispered softly and I smiled softly into his chest. "How are you feeling today?"

"Nervous." I admitted with a small laugh and he chuckled.

"Just remember to breathe." Alexander slid his hand underneath my chin, pushing slightly against my jaw as he lifted my face to him. "I'll be right up front."

I stared up at him, grateful for what he had said but still, there was something missing. I couldn't understand why it never bothered me before, maybe because I knew there was still a chance to change. But now, once I make the Vow, there was nothing I could do.

My foot pulled backwards as I stepped away from him, my hands rose to my chest, clasping each other over my heart. "Alex, I-" I trailed off and turned away. I was so nervous that he'd be disappointed, that maybe he'd grow to be resentful. My eyes fluttered closed as I let out a frustrated sigh, cursing myself silently for being like this.

"What's wrong?" His hand appeared on my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze and I sighed.

"Alex, if I go through with this,I won't even be able to hold a weapon. After everything that's happened, I feel like what I want isn't enough. That everything was a mistake and-"

Alexander brushed his hand over my cheek before stepping in front of me, his lips pressing against mine slightly. I stared up at him in surprise when he pulled back and he smiled softly at me. "Ariella, I want you to listen. It's normal to be nervous, but you need to remember, what you want is important. If you want to Heal, even if it means you can't fight, then do that. Your family and I will protect you. Always."

"How can you even want to be with someone if they can't fight?" I demanded and heard him chuckle once more.

"Because, if it's you, it doesn't matter if you fight or not. You're still my Ariella."

"You won't be disappointed?"

"There's only one thing that will disappoint me, Ariella." Alexander whispered as he leaned closer, pressing his lips against mine again before hugging my tightly. "And that's if you don't do what makes you happy."