Chapter 7 Ariella

Chapter 7 Ariella

            There were people everywhere. In and outside of the tower. Some of them were crying, curled up against the wall or the gates with people beside them, trying to console them. Others were walking around with bandages on their arms, legs, heads, or torso. Many of them carried swords around their waists; a few of them had swords next to them on the ground. I looked around and realized that there were men, women, and even children crying or injured.

            I pressed myself against Brittney's side and she slipped her arm around my waist.

            "It's fine, Ariella." She told me and gave me a gentle squeeze. I followed the three of them away from the crowd of sobbing people. My mind went wild with why they were crying. Did someone they care for die? Or hurt? Or maybe even missing? How many people died because they were forced to fight in exchange for me? How many would die for my benefit?

            I hugged myself tightly as I fought back the tears. It was my fault, I knew it was. If it wasn't for me than these people wouldn't have gotten hurt.

            "Maranda!" A voice tore me from my thoughts. I looked up and saw an elderly woman run up to us, a giant smile on her face. "Thank goodness I caught you! I was hoping you would give that boy of yours a message for me."

            "Which one?" Natalie grinned.

            "Thomas, of course!" The woman laughed. Her gray hair was tied up in a bun and her bright green eyes twinkled with laughter. She was slightly taller than I was, but shorter than Brittney.

            "Of course, I will, Hanna." Mother laughed.

            "Tell him that I said thank you for saving my son." The woman smiled brightly and I was surprised to see that there were tears in her eyes. She wiped them away with a laugh. "If he didn't save my son, well, I wouldn't have one anymore!"

            "I'll tell him, but I know he doesn't need it." Mother smiled and hugged the lady tightly. "He's just happy that he was able to save at least one person in this battle."

            "None the less!" The woman laughed. "You did good by those kids of yours, you should be proud of each and every one of them."

            "I am, trust me!" Mother giggled.

            "Good." The lady wiped more tears away and started laughing. "Oh, look at me! Just an emotional old lady over here, nothing to worry about!" She looked at me and smiled softly. "And who is this little doll? She looks like you, Maranda. A more girly you, but you none the less."

            "This is Ariella." My mother smiled as she put her hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "My daughter."

            My heart seemed to burst with joy knowing that she wasn't ashamed to claim me as her child. I smiled up at her and took a step closer to her. She giggled slightly as the woman gasped.

            "You mean the Ariella that you and your husband have been looking for?" The woman demanded as she looked me over. "The child of yours you were separated from? You finally found her?"

            "Yes, we did!" My mother beamed. "And I plan on keeping her for a long while, hope you don't mind, my dear." She laughed when I shook her head.

            "Well, until she's married." The lady smiled as she patted my cheek.

            "More like when I die." Mother laughed and the woman shook her head.